Pro Feature Unlock for Win/Mac Users

Options
gizmoboy
gizmoboy
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Hi, I was under the impression that purchasers of the windows and mac versions could unlock the pro features in the iOS version, but it's not clear to me how to do it. Is there a FAQ or help guide that walks me through it?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think your impression is correct. The iOS version is a separate purchase from the app store. If you purchased version 4 of 1P for iOS the upgrade to 1P5 Pro for iOS is free (in other words, if you purchased 1P4 for iOS the pro features in 1P5 should be unlocked automatically when you install 1P5). I'm not aware of any link of the kind you mention to the Windows and Mac versions.

Stephen

• gizmoboy
    gizmoboy
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

This is the copy on the website that confused me (under "What are the Pro Features?"):

In addition to everything you get for free in 1Password 5 for iOS, you can also choose to benefit from our optional Pro Features. These can be unlocked with a single $9.99 in-app purchase. And they’re free for existing users of 1Password 4!

(Empasis not added.)

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@gizmoboy‌ Have you ever known a subject so well you start to forget what you take for granted? That's essentially what has happened and no doubt somebody from AgileBits will apologise and look into getting that corrected.

iOS purchases can only be made via iTunes - Apple have all the control. AgileBits can say something along the lines of set all previous purchasers of app X to have In-App purchase Y but I believe that's as far as the control goes. I'm not an Apple certified developer myself but I believe they're given limited information as to who purchases their items. One of the other limitations is the ability to bundle. That means iOS apps are always separate. Where you see a company offer a completely free app it's possibly because it's crippled and won't work at all without the desktop version while 1Password iOS has mostly been a complete app (its struggled in a couple of areas compared to the desktop version) that many users use in isolation.

So what they really meant to say was existing users of 1Password 4 iOS, the assumption being as they were referring to the iOS version they thought everybody was aware of how iTunes worked. I fully expect somebody to correct this mistake in the documentation and I hope it hasn't coloured your view too much of this very useful application. That's coming from somebody that has purchased it on both platforms - I wouldn't want to be without their app.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@gizmoboy,

These can be unlocked with a single $9.99 in-app purchase. And they’re free for existing users of 1Password 4!

I apologize for the confusion. That's referring to 1Password 4 for iOS since we started talking about 1Password 5 for iOS. I'll ask the team to include the for iOS part ASAP.

littlebobbytables is correct, we don't have the ability to know who bought our apps at the Apple's App Stores, only Apple knows that. Our licensing model is per user/per platform, meaning that you'd need a separate license for each platform as we can't bundle desktop apps with mobile apps.

The way we know who bought 1Password 4 for iOS is that we check if the customer has a valid receipt for the app since 1Password 5 for iOS is the same app as 1Password 4 for iOS, it's a direct update to 1Password 4 for iOS.

In your case, if you never bought 1Password 4 for iOS, then you can still use 1Password 5 for free with the limited feature set but you'd need to pay to unlock the Pro features.

• gizmoboy
    gizmoboy
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I purchased the family edition on both Windows and Mac, so I am convinced it will be worth it. The $9.99 for the iOS version isn't a deal-breaker, but I was surprised by my misunderstanding. The fact that each family member will also need to pay $9.99 due to it being an in-app purchase vs. an app purchase is unfortunate, and we probably won't do that.

I'm not really sure what features we'll miss not having pro on iOS. The list of features sounds a little esoteric, especially if you also own the desktop versions (from which you can share logins and create extra vaults).

• Hi @gizmoboy,

The fact that each family member will also need to pay $9.99 due to it being an in-app purchase vs. an app purchase is unfortunate, and we probably won't do that.

We do apologize, we didn't know at the time it was not going to be supported by the Family Sharing feature. If they change this, we would have agreed to allow this in-app purchase to be free for the whole family. We originally thought Apple was going to allow this based on their announcement of Family Sharing and that it would allow all purchases for all members of the same household.

At the moment, you could work around it by unlocking it once with your AppleID and sign into your AppleID on other devices to unlock it there. This does mean that each update would require your account to be signed in before updating.

We do hope Apple will expand Family Sharing to include in-app purchases (the non-consumable kind like ours). We'll keep investigating to see if there's a better way.

I'm not really sure what features we'll miss not having pro on iOS. The list of features sounds a little esoteric, especially if you also own the desktop versions (from which you can share logins and create extra vaults).

In 1Password on the iOS device, the Settings > Pro Feature will explain what's included in Pro or you can read this guide.

If none of the features in Pro is needed on the iOS devices (true for many users as they just want Logins and extensions), then you wouldn't need to unlock at all as the free version is enough.

This discussion has been closed.