Passwords not consistent across different servers [moved to email]

Options
83surfy
83surfy
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I have noticed that when I login at the office, I have found that the password I use at home is invalid. Finally I copied the password for an important literary site to a file, so that I could access it with my laptop.

Today, this happened when i logged in to a site (Google) when on my HOME network, on my laptop.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AND HOW CAN I PREVENT IT?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Are you sure syncing is currently working? What happens if you add a brand new login item to one machine, is it present on the other? If it isn't you have your answer (kind of) at which point somebody will undoubtedly post a list of steps you will need to do to kick start syncing again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?
    • I'd also be curious to hear the answer to @littlebobbytables‌' question: if you add a test item on each device, which devices do the entries show up on?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

mac os 10.9.4, on desktop (iMac) and laptop 10.9.3, on (Mac Book Pro). I am relying on Dropbox for syncing. Since I have noticed the system discrepancy, I am updating the laptop to 10.9.4.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

Thanks for the additional information. The answer to this final question would also be helpful:

• if you add a test item on each device, which devices do the entries show up on?

That'll give us a better idea where syncing is getting stuck so we can suggest how you can fix it. Thanks!

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

My desktop gives one password, which I store. When I tried to access the relevant site on my laptop, the desktop password didn't work, so I changed it on the laptop. Then that same password didn't work on the desktop. My temporary solution has been to store the desktop PW in a separate file on the LP. Then I have to copy/paste into the login site. Cumbersome, but it works.

Does that answer your question?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

If you create a new item in 1Password on your iMac, does that item get synced to 1Password on your MacBook Pro? And if you create one on your MacBook Pro, does it show up on your iMac?

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

No. The one disallows the other.

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

That is, When I first found that the password created on iMac didn't work on MBPro, I went ahead and generated a new password. This was promptly rejected by the same site when presented on the iMac. Temporary remedy: Copied a working password to a file and used it to access the site that
    I wanted access to.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy‌,

I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

voila! I was not synced on Dropbox! Now it works wonderfully on my laptop. Re iPhone, I'm looking in settings and don't see the syncing part. I have iOS 8.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

Great to hear you've got 1Password syncing with Dropbox sorted out on your Macs! To configure it on your iPhone, please refer to these instructions:

For 1Password 5 on iOS 8: Sync with Dropbox

For 1Password 4 on iOS 7: Sync with Dropbox

If you have any trouble with that please describe what the problem is and which version of 1Password you're using on your iPhone. We'll be happy to help you with fixing it! :)

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

It's still not working. I think the problem is syncing across different accounts. I have a home account and an office account. Same internet provider, just different accounts. When I synced over Dropbox, it was over the home account, ie, both computers on the same account. Oddly, once the sync has become operative, it operates well in with location.

I don't think that's the way AgileBits intended. I couldn't even login to this forum at work, because I didn't have the synced password.

What's wrong?

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

Now I'm at home on the same network for both computers and the problem still exists, but not for all sites. My lgin for the IOWA WRITERS' Workshop works on both, at work and at home. :((

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

I'm sorry there's still some trouble with syncing your 1Password data everywhere you need it.

I think the problem is syncing across different accounts. I have a home account and an office account. Same internet provider, just different accounts.

Are those OS X different user accounts or different Dropbox accounts?

Earlier you mentioned these two Macs:

mac os 10.9.4, on desktop (iMac) and laptop 10.9.3, on (Mac Book Pro). … I am updating the laptop to 10.9.4.

• Can you let us know exactly which user accounts are running 1Password on which Macs?
    • Do you want the same 1Password data synced between all of those accounts?
    • Is Dropbox syncing currently configured in 1Password for all those accounts?
    • Are all of those user accounts using the same Dropbox account?

It sounds like there's a misconfiguration somewhere. Once we know where everything is we can better help you get everything nicely set up. :)

Thanks in advance for the answers!

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options
    1. They are different user accounts, but the same internet provider. One is personal and the other is business.
    2. The iMac always uses the home user account; The laptop uses the office account, but not always. The problem exists mainly at work, although I recently tried to see if the problem resolved on the laptop by accessing on the home network. the problem continued on the laptop.
    3. Dropbox is definitely synced at home. I'll check it at work today.
    4. I have one Dropbox account.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that information, @83surfy.

Pardon me if this was already answered earlier, but I'm wondering if the problem is with 1Password or with Dropbox. The Internet provider shouldn't make any difference at all. As long as you are using the same Dropbox account everywhere the same data should sync as long as you have an Internet connection (regardless of provider).

If you add a file to your Dropbox folder in Finder — like a document or an image; not anything in 1Password — does it properly sync between your two Macs?

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

The problem has gotten worse!

The online writing course that has faithfully been accepting my login and password from Agilebits is now rejecting them.

Worse yet, your forum refused my password sent by your own software! To get here to talk with you, I had to junk two (2) previous passwords (the more recent one had been working just fine). So now I have a third password which I hope will work faithfully. The test of time will prove interesting.

btw, I have one Dropbox account. It has misfired only once, when I couldn't find a file at work that I had placed in it, at home. Since then it has been working well. btw, I agree that the internet provider is, or should be, irrelevant.

I'm really getting tired of this. I want to work on my projects without worrying about passwords!

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

Hurrah! I was able to access forum, here, without incident.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

Hurrah for your success! :)

If you run into any further issues we're here to help you fix them!

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

The problem still exists: The online writing course that has faithfully been accepting my login and password from Agilebits is now rejecting them. This is on the iMac at home.

Secondly, I still have the problem of passwords (B&H Photo, Amazon) being rejected when I use mac book pro, even on the home network.

I still need your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @83surfy,

So sorry that's something's still amiss with syncing your 1Password data everywhere. We'd like to move the discussion into email for more detailed troubleshooting of any remaining issues.

To do that, please send us a Diagnostics Report from each account that you're using 1Password with, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent those reports would also be helpful.

After reviewing the reports we'll be able to better assist you with finding a permanent solution. Thanks in advance!

• 83surfy
    83surfy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm waiting. @-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hey @83surfy,

We've received your email; thanks for sending that in! Our email support team will take a look and get back with you as soon as possible with more help for resolving this problem.

Edit: I see that Chris is already helping you directly through email. We'll keep the conversation going there and I'll close this discussion so we're not getting wires crossed between both places. :)

If you have any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to start another topic or email us again.

ref: HNN-44757-226

This discussion has been closed.