1P app keeps asking for Master Password instead of Touch ID

Options
Majd Avari
Majd Avari
Community Member

I followed all the instructions mentioned here to set the app to ask for the master password after 30 days and for touch ID after 2 minutes. Still, the app works fine for a while but after some time asks for Master Password again. I even removed the app and installed again with no change. Am I the only one facing this problem?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

The instructions you linked to included a step regarding using the keychain, without this TouchID in 1Password would seem unreliable. Did you do this as well? You supplied a screenshot of one of the settings pages but not the other.

Some people are finding TouchID temperamental. One or two found 8.0.2 helped, I believe others are still having hassles. One person even found syncing the keychain with iCloud helped but that made no sense to me unless it's a really weird Apple bug.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is now a sticky at the top of the forum about Touch ID, which might help.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@Stephen_C‌ I'm not sure that FAQ is going to assist much here. The screenshot supplied by Majd Avari shows the two timers set up correctly (as far as I can see) and with the master password one set to 30 days the issue with the extension shouldn't come into play either. The link in that sticky also eventually leads to the troubleshooting guide that Majd Avari linked to in their original post.

That's why I was considering the keychain was maybe the issue given the timers seemed okay.

• Majd Avari
    Majd Avari
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C‌ and @littlebobbytables‌ for taking the time. I did follow all the instructions including using the keychain. I tried several times to instal and uninstall. I also tried using the extension to set off the the bug mentioned in that sticky but that didn't happen. I cannot tell really what makes the app ask for the master password instead of touch ID. It's definitely not time related cos it happens sometimes after a couple of hours and some times a day. The behavior seems exactly as if I didn't use the keychain option and the master password is requested when the memory is cleared by the OS.

I'm relativly tech savvy so no stupid mistakes here. I'm just hopping it's a bug in the app that could be fixed soon.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌ thanks for the comment. I probably made my post too brief. The only reason I linked to the sticky was really the part starting:

We have also found an issue that is affecting the reliability of Touch ID (or PIN Code).

I just thought it might provide some reassurance if Majd Avari had, as he thought, done everything correctly but it still wasn't working.

Stephen

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar problems. Works about 1/3 of the time.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to have a similar problem: yesterday 1Password correctly used TouchID every time I used it (quite a lot as I was setting up my new iPhone; 20% of all battery time;), but today it keeps asking for the master password instead.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

And all of a sudden TouchID works again. No idea what triggered that...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Majd Avari,

I apologize for the trouble you're having with TouchID. I'm curious: are you noticing that your security settings occasionally get reset, or that sync quits on you as well? We're investigating an issue that seems to be related to preferences not being correctly saved. If you're seeing unreliable behaviour but your settings are still set where you left them, we'll need to take a closer look at your system to determine just where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @aplnub‌,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Have you gone through the TouchID FAQ that was linked to above? The answers there help most users get TouchID working the way they want. :)

Hi @XIII‌

I'm glad that TouchID is behaving itself again. If it acts up again, you know where to find us.

• Majd Avari
    Majd Avari
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌ and thanks for taking the time. None of the security settings change. Every time the application asks for the password rather than touch ID I go to the settings to doublecheck but everything is still as is. I have my security settings to request the master password after 30 days and Touch ID after two minutes. I'm actually quite puzzled about what actually triggers this. It's not related to the Safari extension, not a certain period, not when changes were made on the desktop app, and nothing else I could think of.

A couple of days ago I tried to turn the setting to use Keychain off and back on because I couldn't remember if it was the default option. The app didn't ask for the master password for two days. But then when I was happy to report back here with what happened I tried again and the app asked for the master password again :(

I'm using 1password on iOS 8.0.2 and 1password 4 on Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite beta). I was using the release version of the Mac app and then upgraded to the latest beta which should be more compatible with Yosemite. The issue with touch ID remained on both so it's irrelevant. I use Dropbox for sync.

I will send the diagnostic report now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Majd Avari,

Our developers have been doing a great job of squashing bugs lately, and we're working on a release that should see better behaviour for TouchID. However, we look forward to taking a look at your Report and ensuring that there's nothing particularly odd going on with your installation of 1Password.

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: JLT-32637-879

This discussion has been closed.