Two Macs but only one is usable; forgotten password

Options
DickPhoto
DickPhoto
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I have 1Password4 on two macs. My main MacPro has a working copy of IPassword 4. But my MacBookPro has a copy with another password that I can not remember. I gather there is no way or resetting the forgotten password, am I correct?

Assuming that I cannot reset a forgotten password, I would like to Delete the 1Password on My MacbookPro and reinstall it. Then using the data file on the MacPro update the MacbookPro via dropbox. I am not sure if dropbox is trying to update my Macbook Pro or not. But I am using the data on my MacPro 1password daily.

Does any one have any thoughts on how to get both 1passwords to be in sync?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dick Barrett

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

You're assumption is correct, if you can't unlock the vault on the MacBook Pro then your only recourse is to wipe and start afresh. Things to try would be old passwords if you changed it recently and to check your language preferences in case you've more than one keyboard active.

Of course if you're happy that your Mac Pro contains all the entries you need you can feel free to wipe the MacBook Pro. This link to their guide contains a page regarding things to try for a master password that isn't being accepted and another page for how to start from scratch.

If you're sure you're successfully syncing the Mac Pro with Dropbox then getting up and running on the MacBook Pro should be easy. Get Dropbox up and running and then when you launch 1Password say you're an existing user and point it towards Dropbox. The vault should unlock with your current master password that works on your Mac Pro and then they should stay in sync.

• Just to offer an official word on the matter, everything @littlebobbytables‌ said is gold. It's the same advice I would give.

This discussion has been closed.