Failed to create backup files [moved to email]

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Today i wakeup my Mac and received a message that 1Password report it failed to create backups:

When i press command⌘+, entering the preference but found that all the previews backups are gone:

So i launched console and search for logs, found that:

It shows that:

14-9-27 09:40:06.582 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[257]: 441008 [BACKUP:0x7f82ae1077a0:] E backupDatabase:withCompletion: | Backup failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "文件夹“Data”不存在。" UserInfo=0x7f82ae80ff00 {NSFilePath=/Users/auto/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data, NSUserStringVariant=(
Folder
), NSUnderlyingError=0x7f82ae2a2840 "未能完成该操作。(OSStatus 错误 -43。)"}

The problem soon be solved by creating a new folder manually : ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data , but i just lost all the ancient backups, i swear i have do nothing to 1password, so it can be considered as a bug which need to be fixed immediately.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

OS X 10.9.5 MacBook Pro with Retina display, 13', Late 2013

• Hi @Autonomous‌,

I apologize about this, I believe this has been fixed in the latest 4.4.2 betas but just to be sure, can you email us your diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT An email have sent to support@agilebits.com, including the diagnostic report files. I have recovered my ancient backups via Time Machine, but I don't want to see those issues occur again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Autonomous,

Thanks for your email with the report. We'll look it over as soon as possible and let you know if the issue is resolved with the 4.4.2 beta.

ref: YBM-94883-187

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk My support ID is [#YBM-94883-187], i hope it can help you solve that issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Autonomous,

We're still investigating the cause of this problem. It looks like the entire ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 folder may have been removed (including its Backups and Data subfolders) while 1Password was still running, causing a few failed backup attempts with the error you reported. The folder was later recreated, possibly rebuilding the local database with data synced with iCloud, although your license is missing. But everything else appears to be running okay again.

We'll be following up with you more about this through email. Thanks for your patience!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Reply to @sjk ,Hello, I have found that the issue is far more complicated than you think.
    First, I changed sync method of 1password, from iCloud to external disk storage. After that, I change it back to iCloud again when I was told that it can be trusted: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28931/

After the adjustment, something seems to be abnormal. The backups of 1password were gone, the issue occurred. Not only the 1password has encountered problem, but also some other applications suffered data loss or preference reset, including Google Chrome, 115 net-disk.

Apparently, some files or folders had been deleted which is not expected, I guess. When the issue occurred, I found that such folders doesn’t exist while 1password still running and filling the forums correctly:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Watchtower

but their parent folder

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

still exist

The folder was later recreated because I recovered such missing fils/folders/sub-folders by Time Machine. Everything turned to be OK.

It was frustrating because I have no idea why such annoy problems occurs, and it can’t be reappeared.

The whole Mac was checked by BitDefender Virus Scanner & ClamXav (latest version, virus definitions is up-to-date) , but no virus or malware were found.

It still considered to be an unknown problem, may be it closely related to 1password, or not.

If the issue occurs again, I would like to contact to you. If anyone in your support team can read or write simplified Chinese, I’d like to communicate with him/her, because writing in English takes a lot of time for me and I can hardly express my idea :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Autonomous,

Thanks for providing this update here! I see that you've also sent this in to our support team via email. It will be easier for us to discuss these developments directly via email, since the email thread allows us access to your Diagnostics Report, which provides us with a lot of detail on your system and may shed some light on where things got tangled up.

This discussion has been closed.