error when trying to update

Options
poopchute
poopchute
Community Member

Hi everyone,
I've been getting an error message when trying to update my 1password software. Whenever i hit update, everything will download and try to extract, but then when it gets to the end it will say "extraction error". If i hit "try again" the same thing will happen.

I'm also getting an error message in safari. When the box pops up to ask for my password, i type the password in and it will say "database error" but i will be able to access 1password fine if i go in through my apps folds.

I'm on OSX mavericks and am using version 3.8.14 of 1password.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are you trying to update to 1Password version 4? Did you buy version 3 from the Mac app store or direct from AgileBits?

What is the 1Password extension version number in Safari (go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions)?

Stephen

• poopchute
    poopchute
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,
    The extension version # is 3.9.2
    Yes, i'm trying to update to the latest version. I think i downloaded it from the mac store.
    I haven't used it for a while since the extension gave me the error. But i'm trying to get everything organized and updated to the most recent versions so that i can integrate with ios8.

thanks

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Not to put a dampener on your efforts but if iOS 8 is your goal you'll really be wanting to wait for Yosemite and 1Password 5 OS X. It's not to suggest 1Password 5 iOS and 1Password 4 OS X (Mavericks) are completely incompatible, but iCloud sync is lost once you upgrade to iOS 8 (until Yosemite and 1Password 5 OS X are both released) and it seems there are all sorts of other tantalising improvements in 1Password 5 iOS related to syncing which are waiting on 1Password 5 OS X.

Obviously none of that helps your current situation. If you purchased 1Password from the App Store (I can't remember what version was the first they released in the App Store) then the easiest way to tell is does it appear in your Purchases tab? If it does, you bought it via the App Store otherwise the only other option is via the AgileBits store. It might sound dumb but have you done a reboot since these obstacles? It's quite frankly embarrassing what a reboot can sometimes solve. If you're downloading the update from AgileBits it might be worth purging Safari's cache and ensuring any copies you've already downloaded are deleted. If something got corrupted it might simply be using that corrupted version over and over again.

If you definitely purchased it from the App Store and you're still experiencing issues then something a tad more drastic may be required. Try deleting everything in the ~/Library/Caches folder. I've gone a little overkill with that, we could be more precise but it won't do any harm as it's just the contents of the cache folder - by the very definition of the word cache (in IT at least ;)) everything will be rebuilt. Afterwards go for a reboot and then try re-downloading 1Password.

Keep us informed!

• poopchute
    poopchute
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Bobby,
    thanks for the suggestions. Yes, i originally purchased 1password from the app store.

I found this on the agile bit's support sites

https://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html

I tried using that uninstaller and starting fresh and reinstalling 1password4
    It did not work. After the uninstaller said that everything was success. I attempted to open 1password3 and everything was still there.
    I'm not sure what happened. But now i have password 3 and 4 both on my mac...

I'm not too worried about the "auto sync" features that ipassword5 and yosemite would offer. I was only trying to get the ios8 safari extension for 1password to work and i figured worse come to worse i'll just do the wifi sync.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Let's just recap to work out exactly where you are at the moment:

1. You have the Mac app store version of 1P3 on your Mac. Does it work still?
    2. You have downloaded from the Mac app store version 4 of 1P and it still doesn't work. Do you still get the "extraction error" or is there now some other problem? What exactly happens when it doesn't work?

Generally, you should be able to run 1P3 and 1P4 side by side so you don't really want to uninstall 1P3 until you're sure you've got 1P4 running properly.

If you are by now in a complete technical muddle (so to speak!) AgileBits will probably ask you to send them a diagnostic report (don't post it here)—but it's best to wait until someone from AgileBits comes along, comments here and asks for it.

Stephen

• poopchute
    poopchute
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,
    Yes, the 1P3 version from mac store still works. I just couldn't update before and the safari extension had the "database error".
    I have now downloaded version 4 of the 1P and it seems to work. It did a scan when i installed it and it detected an "existing database" so my usernames and passwords showed up in 1P4.

So both would be working side by side now. I uninstalled the 1P3 extension from safari and installed the version 4 extension. That seems to work now too. So i guess the only problem now seems to be that i have both versions installed and the uninstaller for version 3 didn't work.

Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Oh, I'm pleased it all seems to be working now. The safe way to uninstall 1P3 is simply to drag the app to the trash. For the time being don't worry about small bits left behind because they'll include your 1P3 backups and it's worth hanging on to those for a little while just while you get used to 1P4.

Edit: don't use any app cleaner app when uninstalling 1P3—it will enthusiastically try to throw away things you'd be better keeping for a while.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @poopchute,

So glad to hear you were able to get over some hurdles, with help from @Stephen_C and @littlebobbytables, and finally get 1Password 4 running!

Like Stephen, I suggest you hang on to 1Password 3 until you're comfortable and satisfied using 1Password 4. And it doesn't hurt to let 1Password 4 create at least a month's worth of its automatic daily backups first. :)

Edit: See Verifying your 1Password vault backups

• poopchute
    poopchute
    Community Member
    Options

To bobby and Stephen
    Thanks for your help

I actually don't have a whole lot of stuff in the version 3. So my plan was to organize everything and start being a real 1pw user in version 4.

Sjk
    When you say backup. Do you mean iCloud backups?

• Hi @poopchute‌,

(I just chuckled at your username :)) ). What @sjk meant is the daily backup 1Password makes. You can see this in File > Backup.

This discussion has been closed.