Multiple vault differences between Mac and iOS versions

Options
AgileByte
AgileByte
Community Member

Hi all,

I have 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. (I have the "grandfathered" PRO version of the iOS app.)

I created two vaults on the Mac, and sync'd them to Dropbox.

When I run 1Password 4.4.1 on the Mac, it asks me for one password for the "Primary" vault, and a second password for the "Personal" vault (the second one I created). If I use either password on the other one, it doesn't work. One vault can be unlocked and the other one locked.

Later, I set up 1Password 5.0.1 on my iPad and sync'd it to both the Dropbox vaults. On iPad, however, things work differently. First, it asks me for my "Master Password" instead of my password for a particular vault. It only accepts the password for my Primary vault, not the second Personal vault. Then, once the app unlocks, I can see the information in BOTH Primary and Personal vaults, even though I only entered the password for the Primary vault!

What the heck is going on here? I don't want both my vaults to have the same password. I want them to have two different passwords, one for each vault, and want them to be entered whenever that vault is used on the Mac AND on the iPad. The iPad seems to be quite broken, and requires just one password and somehow unlocks both vaults.

At this point I have zero confidence that any of my data is stored in any sort of remotely secure fashion. I welcome enlightenment.

Thanks,

Doug

PS: Give me the ability to rename the Primary vault, please!!!

PPS: Give me the ability to tell 1Password that an existing Login record is applicable to a particular web page instead of always asking me to add a new Login card with browser integration (I use FF).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Doug ( @AgileByte‌ ),

I think I may have answered some of your questions already in your other post here. Just to clarify, 1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

However, you still can unlock a secondary vault on its own. In the main app (on your Mac), use 1Password > Switch Vault menu. (In the 1Password mini, click on the lock image on the lock screen to select the secondary vault.) Please note that when you unlock the secondary vault alone, all other vaults will remain locked. You won't be able to copy items between vaults, and you will need to enter your Master Password to view another vault.

Give me the ability to rename the Primary vault, please!!!

I'll pass this request along to our developers - you're not the first person to suggest that a feature like this would be useful. ;)

Give me the ability to tell 1Password that an existing Login record is applicable to a particular web page instead of always asking me to add a new Login card with browser integration (I use FF).

I'm not quite sure I understand your question here. 1Password does support multiple URLs for a Login entry, so if, for example, you would like to use your Google Login to log in to a secondary service, all you have to do is add that secondary URL to your Google Login and then whenever you visit this site, 1Password will offer your Google Login to be filled.

If 1Password is prompting you to save a Login that you already have saved, you might want to check and confirm that the URL saved in your entry matches the URL that you are visiting when you see the prompt. If it doesn't match, this could explain why 1Password keeps asking. In cases like this, you can always select the 'Never Autosave for this site' option in the popup.

An alternative is to add the URL to the exceptions list in Preferences > Browser, below 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins'.

I hope this helps, but if I've misunderstood your question, please let me know!

• AgileByte
    AgileByte
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Megan,

Regarding the last part of your post:

The "1Password Save Login" window has a dropdown box for it's first entry. The choices are:

• Save new Login in Primary Vault
    • Update existing Login in Primary Vault (which is grayed out if you don't have one)

What I expected is that there should be a third choice here, something like:

• Associate Existing Login

That would allow me, for example, to say that an existing record (e.g., "Amazon AWS") should have a website associated with it.

I didn't trust 1Password at first (and definitely didn't trust its browser plug in, and am not sure I won't delete it even now), so I have a lot of Login records that have no associated web site (just username, password and the name of the Login record). So, I want to be able to tell 1Password that one of those existing records should have this website associated with it. That's not possible here.

Get it?

Cheers,

Doug

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Doug ( @AgileByte ),

Thanks so much for the feedback here. That's an interesting suggestion! Generally we expect that a Login entry is a combination of the username, password and URL. I'm a bit concerned that adding a third option here might end up confusing more users than it would help.

In any case, at this time, you'll need to manually add the URLs to your Login entries in 1Password. I'm glad to hear you're starting to trust the program a bit more though! :)

This discussion has been closed.