Enhancement Suggestion: Fill Existing Page From Items With Blank Website Fields

Options
Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

I just created a login item on my iPhone so that I could paste a random password into an account creation form. I thought it was great that 1Password immediately put the password on the paste buffer for me. Slick.

Later on I went to log into that account on my Mac. Hitting ⌘-\ produced no results in 1PW Mini because I didn't paste the URL from Safari back into the website field for the item on the phone. I typed the name of the item into 1PW mini and pressed return on it but 1PW Mini opened a new Safari tab rather than filling the existing Safari page. Of course that tab is blank because the website field in the 1PW item was blank.

It occurs to me that it would be more logical to attempt to fill the currently open page if the website field is blank and offer the opportunity to update the item with the URL accordingly.

I realise that the iOS Safari extension will probably be enhanced to make login creation simpler and more complete thus making this experience rarer. However, I still feel it would be more logical behaviour for 1PW mini in this circumstance and worth considering.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Penelope Pitstop,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience here! You're right, the iOS extension doesn't have the same great Login-saving powers that is available in the desktop browser extension. There is certainly room for improvement here, but there are also some restrictions on iOS that might prevent us from doing some of the cool stuff we can do in the desktop version of 1Password.

It occurs to me that it would be more logical to attempt to fill the currently open page if the website field is blank and offer the opportunity to update the item with the URL accordingly.

I'm a bit concerned that a feature like this could cause more problems than it would fix - folks who are unaware of this feature could end up filling in information that they did not intend to.

For now, it's best to just ensure that each of your Logins has the appropriate URL attached, whether in the iOS app or the desktop version. When I'm creating a new Login on iOS, I generally copy the URL and paste it into 1Password before even generating the password. :)

This discussion has been closed.