My 1Password Options?

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

This is a convoluted question so I'll try to lay everything out.

Hardware & OS in use:

1. Intel iMac running Mac OS 10.7.5

2. iPhone 6 running iOS for iPhone 8

3. iPad 3 running iOS for iPad 6.1.3

4. "iTouch 3GS" running iOS for iPhone 6.1.6 (iPhone 3GS not cell activated)

1Password Applications:

1. 1Password for Mac 3.8.2 (in use on iMac)

2. 1Password for Mac 4.x (downloaded but not in use)

3. 1Password Pro for iOS 3.7.2 (in use on all iDevices listed above)

4. 1Password for iOS 5.0.1 (not in use); also several 1Password for iOS 4 .ipa files stored in a folder on my iMac.

Possible future actions:

1. Install Mac OS 10.10 (if my 2-year old iMac isn't declared "obsolete" by Apple)

2. Purchase an iPad Mini 3

Thus I will need to be able to sync between the iMac running either Mac OS 10.7.5 or Mac OS 10.10 and 3 to 4 iDevices running iOS for iPhone 6.1.6 & 8.x, iOS for iPad 6.1.6 and/or 8.x

So with a mix like this what are my options? As I see it, my limitations will be with the "iTouch 3GS", the iPad 3, and possibly the iMac.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

According to my research a late 2012 iMac is compatible with Yosemite although if it's currently running 10.7 you may need to perform a clean install - I'm not too sure it'll be willing to do an upgrade. What I've also found would suggest your iPad 3 should be capable of running iOS 8.

So you could run 1Password 5 for Mac once it's released and 1Password 5 for iOS on 2/3 devices. Those devices could then synchronise using any method you like.

Your 3GS is a little trickier. It looks like you're running the most up-to-date version of iOS that it's going to let you but that should let you run at least 1Password 4 for iOS (4.2.7 was prior to iOS 7 being released). Somebody from AgileBits should be able to say more reliably what the newest version of 1Password 4 for iOS you would be able to run on your 3GS. This should be able to sync via Dropbox and hopefully WiFi sync but it wouldn't be able to sync via iCloud with any iOS device running 1Password 5 for iOS.

So in summary, your iMac should be able to run Yosemite, I believe your iPad should be able to run iOS 8 and to sync with your ageing 3GS your best bet would probably be Dropbox.

If there any inaccuracies in there don't worry, somebody from AgileBits will pop in and correct me :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the iPad 3 will run iOS 8 b u t v e r y s l o w l y. The iMac is a mid-2011 model, but bought in May 2012.

Last time I tried running 1Pwd iOS 4, it deleted my agilekeychain when I synced. I reverted to 1PwdiOS 3.8.2, copied the keychain from a Time Machine backup and everything has worked since. I don't do syncing with any type of "cloud". My first preference is via USB, second on MY local network.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

Thanks for that detailed description of your situation!

If you're not interested in cloud syncing, your options are a bit limited here ... but it sounds to me like you'll want to go with Wi-Fi Sync. Version 3's Wi-Fi sync can keep your devices running 1Password 3 for iOS in sync with 1Password 3 for Mac.

Now, Wi-Fi sync was re-designed between version 3 and version 4, so you will not be able to use Wi-Fi to sync your 1Password 5 for iOS devices with 1Password 3 for Mac.

But if you upgrade your Mac to at least OS X 10.8.5, you can install 1Password 4 for Mac alongside 1Password 3 for Mac. Then, you can keep the two versions in sync using Folder Sync, and use 1Password 4 for Mac's Wi-Fi sync to keep your iOS devices running 1Password 5 for iOS in sync.

I hope this helps - you've got quite the set-up there. :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is convoluted. Actually, the 3GS would not be a player if I hadn't stupidly lost my iPhone 5! I may see about picking up another 5 in a few months when there will be more used ones on the market.

I'd rather not install Mac OS 10.8.x if I can use Mac OS 10.10. I'll have to see what transpires at the Apple event on the 21st regard it and new iPads. I might even be able to remove the iPad 3 from the equation if I like the new iPad Mini.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

I'm certainly not suggesting that you have to use OS X 10.8.5 ... 10.10 would likely be a much better experience. I only included that because 1Password 4 for Mac does require a minimum OS of 10.8.5. So, if you can at the very least upgrade to that, you should be good to go!

I've got an old iPad 2 that I'm hoping I'll have a very good reason to replace when the Apple iPad event happens, so I understand where you're coming from. :)

This discussion has been closed.