Wow, it has been a year

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

since I had problems with 1Pwd. Back then the 1Pwd4 applications really caused me major problems so I went back to 1Pwd3 on both my iDevices and iMac. Even in May when I lost my iPhone 5 and had to revert to my old 3GS for four months, 1Pwd3 took it in stride. Then last month with the arrival of an iPhone 6 to replace the lost 5, 1Pwd3 moved over and started working without a blink. Meanwhile, I continued to update the 1Pwd iOS app to version 5 even though I have not installed it on my iDevices.

Now it looks like AB has restored WiFi syncing to 1Pwd 5 in the iOS app so I was wondering if 1Pwd5iOS will sync to 1Pwd3Mac via WiFi or should I wait for 1Pwd5Mac to be released (I assume AB is waiting for the release of Mac OS 10.10 in a little over 2 weeks)? Has anyone here ever tried syncing the 1Pwd5iOS app to 1Pwd3Mac?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

I'm glad to hear that 1Password 3 has been working well for you, even on newer devices - that's wonderful!

It's true, 1Password 5 for iOS does have Wi-Fi syncing (as did 1Password 4 for iOS for a long while too!) But it has been re-designed completely since version 3, so the shiny new Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 5 for iOS isn't going to work with 1Password 3 for Mac. You could upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac, which will be able to communicate with 1Password 5 for iOS via Wi-Fi. We do have a great update planned for Yosemite (although we haven't quite nailed down the versioning yet.) In any case, it will be a free update for 1Password 4 for Mac users, so you can upgrade now without worrying about another update coming right around the corner.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. I may buy the 1Pwd4 update but not install it as I don't want a repeat of what happened a year ago when 1PwdiOS4 was released with out a 1PwdMac4 compliment.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

Because we're still a small team, it's not always possible for us to release major versions across all platforms at once. I do apologize if you experienced problems as a result of the 1Password 4 for iOS upgrade, but we'll do the best we can to ensure that nothing too exciting happens with this update! :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I had enough "excitement" when my agilekeychain was deleted from my iMac after syncing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

You've mentioned this deletion a few times now, and I'm not quite sure how that happened. 1Password doesn't remove data without your express permission. In fact, we've made some great improvements to sync and data storage in 1Password 4. One of the key things is that in version 4, your data is stored locally in addition to whichever location you choose to sync to (in the case of Dropbox or iCloud), so you have an extra point to restore from - if necessary.

If you are concerned about upgrading, I would suggest syncing your data to Dropbox to give you that extra bit of security - although I seriously doubt that it will be necessary.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand how it happened either. Basically:
    I updated from 1Pwd3iOS to 1Pwd4iOS on my iPhone. When I went to use1Pwd3Mac on my iMac after I did a sync with 1Pwd4iOS, I was told there wasn't an agilekeychain. I went via Finder to where it was supposed to be and it was gone. No one at AB had a clue how to fix it so I just deleted 1Pwd4iOS from the iPhone and reinstalled 1Pwd3iOS, then went to a Time Machine backup on a date before I updated the iPhone app, copied the keychain from there and pasted it in the folder 1Pwd3Mac expected it. Viola! I was back in business.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @romad,

That is strange, I looked at your previous reports, and it looked like you had permission issues. Basically, the access to the files were denied and that's why 1Password couldn't find it in the first place. The update to 1Password 4 for iOS might have been a coincidence. For an example, the reports said you had 1Password backups going back to 2009.

There are some tools that may have messed up the permissions, they're usually related to app cleaning tools or system optimizing tools but not always.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it was weird. Speaking of backups, those 2009 backups are the last 70 Mac OS X System Keychain backups; the oldest agilekeychain backup is from July 25th so it looks like backups of the agile keychain are also kept for 70 days. I guess I can delete the System keychain backups! :D

• Hi @romad,

I'd put it on an archival drive just in case but if you truly don't need it, yea trash them.

This discussion has been closed.