Feedback after 24 hours of 30 day trial. OS X 10.10 GM and iOS 8.1 beta

Options
binarysmurf
binarysmurf
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I am really pleased with 1Password, with three caveats. All of these apply to 1Password for OS X v4.4.1

• I strengthened my Dropbox password and chose to 'Update existing login' when prompted. The website informed me that my password had been changed successfully.. but 1Password simply didn't update the password. The old password was still stored in the DB login item, and the new password was nowhere to be seen. I ended up deleting the Dropbox login item, resetting my DB password via the website and creating a new Dropbox login item when prompted. This was fine, and worked as expected.

• Same as above, but substitute Reddit for Dropbox.

• This particular issue may prevent me from purchasing a licence: Pretty much the same as above except with my Apple ID. The only reason I didn't have to go through the whole reset process was that in this case there was a new entry with a combination lock icon created in 1Password for appleid.apple.com that DID have the correct password in it, and I was able to convert this to a working login. My original 'Apple ID' login was unchanged, despite me selecting the 'Update' option.

The other 30 sites I've created logins for have been seamless, and synching with iOS via
Dropbox is wonderful :). The fact I almost had to reset my Apple ID password has taken the edge off the product for me as it is my single most important account, but it could be a beta issue, or simply my error.

We'll see how the next 29 days go. :)

Regards,

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @binarysmurf,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for trying out 1Password on your Mac!

Since you're using OS X 10.10, you'll want to update to the beta version of 1Password that's designed to be run on Yosemite. You can report issues you have with it in the Mac Beta section of the forum.

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with changing a few passwords. This guide has instructions for doing it:

Changing a saved password

Is that the procedure you used with Dropbox, Reddit, and your Apple ID?

This guide explains what to do when 1Password hasn't properly updated a Login item's password, or offered to, after you've changed it on a site:

Changed passwords are not updated inside 1Password

It sounds like that's what you did with your Apple ID password, or used Convert to Login in its Password item to convert it to a Login item?

What happened here is puzzling:

I strengthened my Dropbox password and chose to 'Update existing login' when prompted. The website informed me that my password had been changed successfully.. but 1Password simply didn't update the password. The old password was still stored in the DB login item, and the new password was nowhere to be seen.

Same as above, but substitute Reddit for Dropbox.

If you generated new passwords for those sites with Password Generator and used Fill or Copy there, you should definitely find Password items saved for them in the Passwords category and it's worth double-checking there.

Thank you for reporting these problems, and for any additional information so we can figure out what went wrong and help smooth it out for the future!

• binarysmurf
    binarysmurf
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll download the beta. I'm pretty sure that the issues I've reported are user related, as I had a similar issue with the Blizzard site. :) All is good now. I'll make sure to check the links you've posted.

I'll enjoy the rest of my trial and post any issues I have in the beta forum.

Many thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @binarysmurf.

Sorry that something went amiss with the Blizzard site, too, but glad you're good to go for now!

Here's another guide I wanted to mention:

Recovering an unsaved password

There are others in the 1Password for Mac Knowledgebase and User Guide you might find worth exploring at some point. In the latter, Introducing 1Password is a good overview.

And we're always happy to help solve any issues and answer any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.