VoiceOver interaction problem with user name and password text fields when creating a login

Options
MarcoZ
MarcoZ
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

Hi all!

First, if this has been addressed in the current beta cycle, please feel free to close this topic. I am not a member of the beta testers (although I would not object to being one), so I can only report on the current 5.0.1 release.

The problem is with the user name and password text fields when creating/modifying a login, and using VoiceOver. Here are the steps I take:

1. Turn on VoiceOver.
  2. Find the "nav add" button at the top right and double-tap it.
  3. Choose "Login" and double-tap.
  4. Touch the text field for the login title and double-tap to bring up the keyboard.

Notice that this is announced as "text", and mode changes to "editing". One can now use the rotor (two finger knob turning gesture) to switch to characters and Words, and use flick up and down to navigate through entered text.

5. Finish filling in the text, then find the user name item and double-tap.

6. Keyboard comes up, and now start typing the user name.

Notice that each entered key produces a bumping sound as if VoiceOver hit a navigational edge and cannot proceed further. The text is entered, but the rotor cannot be used this time to navigate the text. Also, VoiceOver did not announce that this is a text field and that we're editing it.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the Password field.

Result: The same: The bumping sound is heard, and again we don't know that we're in a text field, or password text field. Neither does the rotor and flicking up and down work to position the cursor.

Subsequent fields work fine again.

I don't know how this worked in 1Password 4, since I didn't use that version, started using 1Password under iOS 8 with version 5.

Thanks!
Marco

Comments

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, forgot to mention that this also affects existing logins when editing them. Exact same behavior. And it's on both iPhone and iPad.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I don't know the VoiceOver software you are describing, but the behavior sounds a lot like what is described in this thread. If that's right, it almost certainly is an iOS 8 issue.

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

VoiceOver is the technology built into iOS that helps blind people use the iPhone. It converts the screen contents to spoken text.

And no, this is definitely not the same issue as in the thread you linked to, the master password entry has always worked for me. This is very specific to the user name and password fields in a Login item.

Marco

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The reason I linked to it is that the same kind of issue was reported by another user for Facebook and Boxer Mail. Is there a chance that the letters that are being entered first in the fields your having trouble with are on the far right side of the QWERTY keyboard? If not, sorry for the distraction.

• Hi @MarcoZ,

Thanks for taking the time to report this is so much detail! :)

Trouble editing the username and password using VoiceOver is a known issue at the moment, and our developers are investigating. Sorry for the inconvenience! I'll add the information you provided to the existing issue in our internal tracker.

internal reference number: OPI-155

This discussion has been closed.