Custom keyboard shortcuts display additional menu items

(was: Weird identity problem)
I have two identities in 1Password.

But I have a weird situation with the identities in the 1Password button in Safari. It shows THREE identities, the two real ones and a third one which is one of my usual identities with the word 'edit' in green next to it. Clicking on this brings up the edit window for that identity. Pressing 'cancel' or 'save changes' closes the edit window but does not get rid of the spurious identity.

If I usw the 1Password contextual menu it show two identities only, the spurious one and my second identity but not the one associated with the spurious identity.

I have tried quitting Safari and the issue remains. I haven't rebooted my Mac yet, but will do so later today.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi danco,

I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

The steps I would try before restarting your Mac would be to rebuild your data file (Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File…), reset permissions (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions…), and then reinstall the Safari extension by unchecking and then rechecking the box for Safari in Preferences > Browsers.

Normally the "Edit" option should only appear when you press the Shift key, and it should prefix every item in the list, not just one.

If the issue persists, try restarting. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

Hi danco,

I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

The steps I would try before restarting your Mac would be to rebuild your data file (Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File…), reset permissions (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions…), and then reinstall the Safari extension by unchecking and then rechecking the box for Safari in Preferences > Browsers.

Normally the "Edit" option should only appear when you press the Shift key, and it should prefix every item in the list, not just one.

If the issue persists, try restarting. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

I had restarted earlier (had to, as I was upgrading Little Snitch), which didn't help.

Tried your suggestions, which didn't help. Have not restarted after trying them, though. Maybe something is just interfering with 1Password, but I can't recall anything I've added which could cause the problem. Oh yes, maybe one thing, the latest version of Java.

The real oddity is that the contextual menu shows the wrong unneeded entry but not the real one. It is not a huge issue to just have a spurious additional entry (as in the main 1Password button), but on the occasions when the contextual menu is needed then not having the real entry is a hassle.

I tried generating a diagnostics report. Nothing seemed to happen (no file in Export, nothing in Safari when I clicked on the icon). I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if the report is empty and so gives nothing.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It sounds like your 1Password installation is damaged, which is likely also affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button to the right of "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

Afterwards, you may want to perform the steps listed above once more if the problem is not resolved.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

It sounds like your 1Password installation is damaged, which is likely also affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button to the right of "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

Afterwards, you may want to perform the steps listed above once more if the problem is not resolved.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!

I've reinstalled, rebuilt database, reset folder permissions, removed and reinstated the Safari extension. Still the same problem. Double checked by looking at Firefox and iCab. They work fine, but Safari doesn't.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    stu wrote:

Danco,

Could you try one more thing to see if we can get things up and running again, could you go to Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache from within 1Password and then restart Safari. All being well this should fix the issues you've been having.

If that doesn't help, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password on your Mac by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at support [at] agile.ws as an attachement using Mail or your favourite e-mail client of choice.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

Hope that helps,
    ]

Clearing the cache doesn't help. As for the Diagnostic report, see my earlier post. I'm probably doing something wrong. But when I choose it, I get a gear wheel going round which gets replaced by an icon. Clicking on the icon does nothing (though there is the hand which suggests there is a link), clicking on 'export' brings up a file selector to choose name and folder but no file gets generated.

It's definitely a Safari issue. I've tried four other browsers (iCab, Firefox, Camino, OmniWeb) and they all work fine. And it only developed recently, but I hadn't upgraded Safari or 1Password when it happened. Safari 5.0.2, 1Password 3.4.4, by the way
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Danco,

Sorry for the late reply, but if you are still having this problem could you contact us at support@agile.ws? We'd love to get this resolved for you. Please include a link to this thread so we can "connect the dots."

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think we have this nipped. A custom keyboard shortcut for an identity that excludes the Shift key (part of the default keyboard shortcut) will display "Edit [Identity]" separately. You can also see similar behavior be setting a keyboard shortcut for "Private Browsing" or "Private Browsing..." which will either not prompt to confirm or prompt to confirm your selecting, respectively. Two separate menu items show up if you make a shortcut for either. ;-)

Some fun keyboard shortcut tricks in 1Password include holding down...

• Shift to Edit a login
    • Option to toggle the autosubmit setting momentarily
    • Shift-Option to Delete a login

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! :-)
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

I think we have this nipped. A custom keyboard shortcut for an identity that excludes the Shift key (part of the default keyboard shortcut) will display "Edit [Identity]" separately. You can also see similar behavior be setting a keyboard shortcut for "Private Browsing" or "Private Browsing..." which will either not prompt to confirm or prompt to confirm your selecting, respectively. Two separate menu items show up if you make a shortcut for either. ;-)

Some fun keyboard shortcut tricks in 1Password include holding down...

• Shift to Edit a login
    • Option to toggle the autosubmit setting momentarily
    • Shift-Option to Delete a login

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! :-)

Getting there. It's definitely related to Safari shortcuts, as it doesn't exist when I remove all custom Safari shortcuts. But I still have the problem after changing the shortcut to command-option-control-z; not a shortcut I like, but a good one to experiment with. That's even after quitting and restarting Safari, though I haven't tried restarting the Mac or deleting caches. By the way, I think you meant "a shortcut that INCLUDES the Shift key", but you wrote EXCLUDES.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    I think I narrowed it down a bit too far. It is actually completely unrelated to the Shift key in particular. Rather, I believe it would apply to any custom shortcut. I'll try to describe this as best I can.

"Hidden" menu items (visible when holding down Option or similar) become visible independently in OS X when a custom keyboard shortcut is used with the main "visible" entry. Look at Safari's File menu. Hold down Option and watch "Close Window" change to "Close All Windows." If you set a custom shortcut for "Close Window," "Close All Windows" becomes a separate visible menu item.

This is not peculiar to 1Password but is a "feature" of Mac OS X custom keyboard shortcuts. This allows a user to set separate shortcuts for both menu items: the initially visible and the "hidden" one.

I hope that helps. Please let me know! :-)
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

I think I narrowed it down a bit too far. It is actually completely unrelated to the Shift key in particular. Rather, I believe it would apply to any custom shortcut. I'll try to describe this as best I can.

"Hidden" menu items (visible when holding down Option or similar) become visible independently in OS X when a custom keyboard shortcut is used with the main "visible" entry. Look at Safari's File menu. Hold down Option and watch "Close Window" change to "Close All Windows." If you set a custom shortcut for "Close Window," "Close All Windows" becomes a separate visible menu item.

This is not peculiar to 1Password but is a "feature" of Mac OS X custom keyboard shortcuts. This allows a user to set separate shortcuts for both menu items: the initially visible and the "hidden" one.

I hope that helps. Please let me know! :-)

That sounds like the cause of the problem.

Having an extra unwanted item available from the 1PW icon in the toolbar was never an issue, as the real entries were still there. What was sometimes troublesome was that if one invoked the identities items via the contextual menu, one of the real entries disappeared and got replaced by the unwanted one.

I've just tried option-z as a shortcut, and find that it still gives the extra item when using the icon, but gives the correct entries when the contextual menu is invoked.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Phew! I'm glad that everything is working well. :-)

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers!
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Now this is truly weird!!

I had a working keyboard shortcut for an identity, with access to the identities using contextual menus still there (I did have to experiment, as some of the ones I claimed worked did not in fact allow access via contextual menu). All was fine yesterday. But today the shortcut does not work, and I've tried restarting and tried other shortcuts. It seems that currently, though the shortcut is listed in 1PW's menus from the tool button, it just doesn't work, whatever shortcut I try.

What has changed in my system since yesterday? Well, I certainly installed Office 2011, I can't recall if I installed any utilities.

On a different but related issue. One can install 1PW in the top menu bar. But this only gives access to a limited number of functions compared with the toolbar. Is there a significant reason for this? I ask because I have Keyboard Maestro and had thought to see whether using it to open a menu item would solve my problems, only to find that in the 1PW top menu identities are not included.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Later.

This may be a Safari issue. I've tried adding shortcuts to a few of Safari's menus, and some seem to work but not others. I would still be glad of any help or advice on debugging.

I have NOT yet updated to the latest Safari.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Oddly enough, I have been having some Safari-related keyboard shortcut issues today myself...? I will post back if I find anything conclusive.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Okay, it looks like everything is back to normal. That was odd. The default identity keyboard shortcuts stopped working temporarily in Safari (⌥⇧⌘1, ⌥⇧⌘2, etc.). The "Fill with 1Password" submenu was also not listed in the Edit menu, so I'm certain it was directly related to that. I thought it was a Safari 5.0.3 thing, but everything is working well after a Safari restart.

The top menu should mirror the browser toolbar button menu. If you are having trouble, try restarting Safari.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

Okay, it looks like everything is back to normal. That was odd. The default identity keyboard shortcuts stopped working temporarily in Safari (⌥⇧⌘1, ⌥⇧⌘2, etc.). The "Fill with 1Password" submenu was also not listed in the Edit menu, so I'm certain it was directly related to that. I thought it was a Safari 5.0.3 thing, but everything is working well after a Safari restart.

My Edit menu in Safari does not currently have a "Fill with 1Password" item. That may be why my shortcuts won't work.

The top menu should mirror the browser toolbar button menu. If you are having trouble, try restarting Safari.

Over several restarts of Safari I have found the following. Open Safari, and the 1PW top menu item does not contain the Identities, Credit Card, and some other items. Then click on the 1PW toolbar icon. After that, the top menu does mirror what's in the toolbar.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    My Edit menu in Safari does not currently have a "Fill with 1Password" item. That may be why my shortcuts won't work.

Currently, the "Fill with 1Password Identity" submenu will only display when there are at least two (2) identities present in your data file. (I have "Home" and "Work" as mine, for example.) This is a known issue I filed in our internal tracker a couple weeks ago as (what I believe to be) part of my "investigation" for this thread. :-) I thought I had mentioned it here already, but it looks like I had not. I hope that helps.

Over several restarts of Safari I have found the following. Open Safari, and the 1PW top menu item does not contain the Identities, Credit Card, and some other items. Then click on the 1PW toolbar icon. After that, the top menu does mirror what's in the toolbar.

I believe this to be a timing issue. Both menus need a moment to load. Launch Safari and give it a minute or so (just to be extra safe). The top menu will work as expected. If you are paying attention to the toolbar button, it will exhibit the same behavior. They both just need to be fully loaded. They should mirror each other. ;-)
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    khad wrote:

Currently, the "Fill with 1Password Identity" submenu will only display when there are at least two (2) identities present in your data file. (I have "Home" and "Work" as mine, for example.) This is a known issue I filed in our internal tracker a couple weeks ago as (what I believe to be) part of my "investigation" for this thread. :-) I thought I had mentioned it here already, but it looks like I had not. I hope that helps.

I do have two identities, but it still does not show. I don't know if it is relevant that (in order to get an identity at the top) one identity begins with a space.

I believe this to be a timing issue. Both menus need a moment to load. Launch Safari and give it a minute or so (just to be extra safe). The top menu will work as expected. If you are paying attention to the toolbar button, it will exhibit the same behavior. They both just need to be fully loaded. They should mirror each other. ;-)

Perhaps a timing issue in some sense. But I have set Safari to open with a blank page, and if I just leave it the menu does not populate, even after several minutes. Various actions lead the menu to populate. I haven't checked the precise conditions. It is worth commenting that my Keyboard Maestro shortcut (for the menu item) seems to work even if the menu is not populated.

Given that, with the help of Keybord Maestro, I have a shortcut workin as I want and also contextual menu items when needed, I don't feel like investigating further unlees the problem comes up again.
This discussion has been closed.