Changing Master Password Syncs to WHICH devices?

Options
CopelandD
CopelandD
Community Member

I want to maintain a different master password for my main vault on 1Password for Mac and iOS.

There is a new feature listed in the release notes for v 4.3 of 1Password for Mac that the Master Password changes now sync between devices.

Does this mean that if I change the Master Password on iOS that the password will change on my Mac via Dropbox? Vice versa?

What is the correct way to maintain separate passwords for Mac and iOS?

Comments

• NatalieDM
    NatalieDM
    Community Member
    Options

I asked the same question but received no reply. One of the 1Password articles says that syncing is bi-directional. Well that's not a lot of help when your computer won't accept the same master password that works fine on your other device (and always worked before). If you sync, and it syncs from the computer to the other device, then you are toast.

• CopelandD
    CopelandD
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Exactly my thoughts. I wrote down my unique Master Password for 1Password for iOS somewhere else and turned syncing off for now until they let us know what's happening. That would be really bad if you didn't memorize your iOS password and then the password synced to your Mac master password, especially since I got the idea from http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/08/19/more-than-just-one-password-lessons-from-an-epic-hack/

Lesson 1: Some might need more than one password

I love the idea that 1Password allows me to just remember one password, my 1Password Master Password. But some of us may actually want to remember a couple more. Here are the strong, unique passwords that I choose to remember:1Password in Dropbox

My 1Password Master Password for the desktop

My 1Password Master Password on my iOS devices

My Dropbox password

The passcode for my iOS devices

My computer login password

Password for my primary email account

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @CopelandD,

It is not possible to have a multiple master passwords in 1Password 4. The release notes were mentioning a bug that was fixed, where a change of your master password didn't always sync to all devices (leaving the old one on some).

You can only use one master password for the same data file that you sync across devices. Different master passwords weaken the entire security system in 1Password, and a lot of security improvements are gained by simplifying it with one master password everywhere.

If your master password is currently different between devices, I'd recommend that you manually change each device to the same password.

That blog post is old, and that information no longer applies. I'll look into getting it changed.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• CopelandD
    CopelandD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @JasperP‌

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• blawson
    blawson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jasper, how does this work when you have multiple vaults, some not synced to Dropbox?

• I have two vaults on a main computer, and the primary vault syncs to Dropbox.
    • On a second computer, I enabled the Dropbox syncing to keep the primary vault identical.
    • On that second computer, I changed the master password for the vault.
    • On my main computer, I can still unlock the primary vault with the same password as before - it doesn't seem to have accepted the new password.

Is that expected? Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blawson,

Could you tell me the version number of 1Password 4 that you are currently using? The version number can be found via the 1Password > About 1Password menu. As has been mentioned above, the syncing of Master Passwords between Macs was only fully implemented in 4.3, so it is important to ensure that you are on the latest and greatest version of 1Password.

If your Master Password is not the same across all devices, it is best to update it manually on the other device so that it is the same.

As far as the multiple vaults work into this: if a vault is not synced then it will only live on the computer that you created it on, and there is no issue with a changed Master Password not making it to the other devices. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• somebody
    somebody
    Community Member
    Options

I am syncing my 1password db via Dropbox. The master password is not the same on my iPad as it is on my iPhone (both running ios8.x) this actually concerns me makes wonder about the security of 1password.... After all it has been stated above in post#4 by JasperP that it is impossible to have multiple master passwords yet that is exactly what I have. My iPhone uses the newer master password and the iPad continues to use the older master password. Both devices continue to sync otherwise and both devices are running the latest version of 1password (5.0.1) I am hoping that someone can explain how this could be... Megan's suggestion to manually change the Master Password manually just skirts the real issue and leaves me wondering if there is a glitch in the software that I am trusting with all my vitals.

Can someone please explain?

Torii

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Torii ( @somebody ),

I'm sorry you've run into the problem with your Master Password (MP) not syncing. Our developers know about this issue and are still investigating where things are getting tangled up. I've also include your report with the open bug we have in our tracker.

@Megan's suggestion to manually change the MP so it's the same on all your devices is the best thing to do right now.

We don't have a solid explanation for why MP changes are intermittently failing to sync. Thanks for your patience while we get it sorted out.

ref: CSI-5

This discussion has been closed.