PIN Code not an option for extension?

Options

I have the 1Password PIN code set up (yes, you must now have a passcode set up on your device, very annoying) but it looks like when you invoke the 1Password extension the only option you have is to enter your master password. Really? It's easier to switch to the 1Password app and copy the required password from there.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. We've been seeing an issue where the app extension is not respecting the lock settings from the main app. You really shouldn't have to enter your Master Password every time you invoke the extension.

Could you take a peek inside 1Password's Settings > Advanced, and let me know if you have 'Use iOS keychain' enabled? The issue that we're seeing mostly happens when you do not have this setting enabled. Of course, it is completely your choice if you do not want to have your Master Password stored in the iOS keychain, but it does provide a more reliable experience for the PIN code. I can assure you that the Master Password is stored as a 'temporary' item and is never synced to the cloud. If you enter your PIN code incorrectly, the Master Password will be wiped from the keychain and you will have to enter the Master Password to access your 1Password data.

• Michael Shingledecker
    Options

Yes, it is on in 1Password; however, I don't use iOS Keychain so the option is not enabled in my iCloud settings. Does it need turned on as well?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Michael Shingledecker,

~~If the iOS keychain is not enabled on your device, enabling it in 1Password won't do much good. To get a more reliable experience out of the PIN code, you'll need to have the iOS keychain enabled in both locations.

I hope this helps! :)~~

Please disregard the above response. The iCloud keychain that can be enabled in the Settings.app > iCloud menu is different from the iOS keychain where your Master Password is temporarily stored.

My apologies for any confusion this may have caused!

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

If you enter your PIN code incorrectly, the Master Password will be wiped from the keychain and you will have to enter the Master Password to access your 1Password data.

forever wiped or is it reset allowing the PIN to be used subsequently?

I seem to have lost the ability to use the PIN
    Keychain enabled
    !PW on PC, MAC ML, Iphone 5 w Ios7

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

I love the way your board reformats everything into one line after the screen entry is nicely formated

"If you enter your PIN code incorrectly, the Master Password will be wiped from the keychain and you will have to enter the Master Password to access your 1Password data".

I seem to have lost the ability to use the PIN

Keychain enabled !PW on PC, MAC ML, Iphone 5 w iOs 7

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Iwouldrathernot‌

I apologize for the forum's sometimes unique method of formatting posts. It took me a while to get used to as well. I think the secret is hitting Enter twice after each paragraph. :)

forever wiped or is it reset allowing the PIN to be used subsequently?

It will be wiped from the keychain until you re-enter your Master Password correctly. Then the Master Password will again be stored in the iOS keychain to allow you to make use of the PIN. The wiping is done, not to prevent you from ever storing your Master Password again, but as a security measure so that an attacker can't simply keep trying different PIN codes until they unlock your device.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with the PIN code right now. I'll need a bit more detail here though:

• Could you please confirm your version numbers? 1Password 5 for iOS currently requires iOS 8, are you on 1Password 4 for iOS still?
    • What are your security settings currently set to?
  • Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

where is version noted?
    in settings there is a note ?V4.5.3

II am cautious about updating working programs after an update crashed my prior password program and left me dark for 6 weeks until I could manage a restore on a new machine,

Not like that never happens (iOS 8.01)

Damned if you do...

PIN on,5 min, lock on exit

Saw PIN request again , then put me into Master password.

I'm having trouble getting what it is asking for

Is there indexed help or do I just plow through tutorials again?

Thanks

and thanks for the formatting tip

Richard

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

actually it is working now

noted that sometimes the iPhone doesn't get the screen entered keystrokes and puts in a bad PIN entry

that makes the resets on PW entry errors vexing for those with fat fingers or cold fingers that don't connect

will just add it to the things tat need to be done slowly with more attention

Thanks again
    Richarrd

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there Richard ( @Iwouldrathernot‌ )

I'm glad to hear that it is working for you now! I don't blame you for being slightly cautious about updating to a brand new operating system. No matter how many beta testers are poking around, there always seems to be a few surprises when new software is released.

I hope 1Password continues to behave for you ... but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here to help!

• Michael Shingledecker
    Options

I'm still having issues with this. Sometimes the extension asks for the PIN, other times it wants the master password. It's not consistent. Also, the 1Password icon will not stay at the start of the row under the Sharing icon. I'll move it but later it's back at the end of the line.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Shingledecker‌,

I'm sorry that you're still not seeing reliable behaviour from the PIN code. Unfortunately, you will need to enter your Master Password occasionally here. This is because the app extension has no way to determine the lock status of the main app. Once you've unlocked the extension with your Master Password, it will respect the lock settings you have set in the main app.

ref: OPI-1516

Also, the 1Password icon will not stay at the start of the row under the Sharing icon. I'll move it but later it's back at the end of the line.

We believe this is an iOS issue, as it seems to happen with extensions other than 1Password as well. We're all hoping it gets resolved soon - personally, I want 1Password front and centre. ;)

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I hope this helps!

• Michael Shingledecker
    Options

Megan, I'm confused. If in Settings, I have "Request After" set to 30 minutes for master password and "Request PIN After" set to 5 minutes, how does this affect the extension? Does 1Password have to be running in the background for this to work?

I suspects the icon issue was related to iOS but wanted to verify.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm a little confused. I don't use iCloud for syncing my keychain but I believe that's separate from the iOS keychain - something I thought we have literally no control over as the user.

@Michael Shingledecker‌ I'm guessing you haven't upgraded to 5.1 yet given you're describing the old settings. They've changed it so now it automatically uses the keychain if you set up a PIN or use TouchID and now there is just an auto-lock timer rather than a master password and PIN/TouchID timer. Depending on how you feel about it it might be worth upgrading and seeing if the new style of settings works any better for you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Shingledecker

As @littlebobbytables‌ suggests, please ensure you're updated to 5.1, as there are a lot of great fixes in our latest version, including a simplification of the Security settings pane.

Does 1Password have to be running in the background for this to work?

You do not have to leave the 1Password app running in the background to use the app extension.

I hope the revised security settings make your life a lot simpler, but we're here if you have any further questions!

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

I'm a little confused. I don't use iCloud for syncing my keychain but I believe that's separate from the iOS keychain - something I thought we have literally no control over as the user.

My apologies, I think I may have been a little bit confused here as well. You are right. The iCloud keychain that you can enable on your device is completely separate from the iOS keychain. I'll edit my post above to remove that incorrect statement.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

This discussion has been closed.