Firefox 1P extension repeatedly disabled

Options
AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member

My Firefox 1P extension (4.2.4) has been repeatedly disabled the last few days for no apparent reason. It's there in the FF menubar for awhile, then it disappears suddenly. Checking FF Extensions page, it appears as if it IS enabled when it is not. If I then disable it and immediately re-enable it, the 1P key icon reappears in the FF menubar and it functions just fine... for awhile. This has happened at least 3 times today already. I have tried deleting the 1P extension from FF and reinstalling it. That only seems to cause a temporary delay in this behavior. Any suggestions?

OS 10.9.5, 1P 4.4.1, 1P extension 4.2.4

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AMCarter3‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Firefox extension. You've included a lot of version numbers here - that's awesome, thanks! - but I'm not seeing a version number for Firefox. The current version of Firefox is 32.0.3 ... is there a chance you're using an older version?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, sorry... FF 32.0.3

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AMCarter3‌,

Darn. I was hoping that an older version of Firefox was causing this problem. Since you've already tried my handy-dandy reinstall-the-extension trick (the equivalent of turning it off and back on again) we'll need to take a closer look at your system to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I sent the report; including the link to this forum chat. I put my real name (Mac Carter... aka "AMCarter3)

• Hi @AMCarter3,

I got your report, thanks! I'm not seeing anything out of place from the report. The icon loading is handled by Firefox, not by 1Password, and I didn't see much errors from Firefox itself.

A few questions:

1. When the icon disappeared, did the keyboard shortcut (Command + \) work on your websites?
    2. Can you look at the Firefox's toolbar menu to see if it is there:

If it is no for both questions, can you collect the console logs from within Firefox with this guide. Please include that in a reply to the same email you sent today.

Thanks!

Email ID: SYZ-84616-218

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, the answer is NO to both. When I attempt to go to "About Config", all I get is the results from a Google search. What am I missing?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @amcarter3,

It has to be exact, about:config in the address bar.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I got it. Did you get my email with the log?

• Hi @AMCarter3,

Yep, I got it and went through it. In the email, you said when the icon is showing up, it didn't show up in the dropdown menu, that's fine. It is only supposed to show up in one place at a time, I was wondering if it was accidently moved to the other place.

The console log from Firefox seems to suggest maybe your FIrefox profile may be slightly damaged but it could be normal and instead, they might just be red herrings.

Could you create a separate new FIrefox Profile and see if 1Password works better in there?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good. I'll create a new FF profile and let you know. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Great! Hopefully, it'd work.

If it does, you should be able to export your data from the previous profile and import it into the new one.

Make sure to only do the essentials because if you try everything at once, you might bring back the same problem. Doing one thing at a time might help you track down the cause.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

What do you mean by "one thing at a time"? What does "thing" refer to?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @AMCarter3,

Extensions, cookies, bookmarks, history and so on that you might want to export and import into the new profile. Don't import everything at once at the same time. Move over history, bookmarks, cookies and leave the extensions alone until you can confirm the issue did not come back. Then bring in the extensions and if it comes back, you'll know it is one of the extensions that caused this.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Thanks.

• No problem.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

So, Mike... I copied the old FF profile to separate drive, created a new profile, I've added only the 1P extension and imported my bookmarks. So far, everything in FF is working and the 1P icon seems steady in the menubar. I assume I should pause a bit before importing cookies to see if the 1P icon stays or disappears...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AMCarter3‌

I'm so glad to hear that things look good so far! I would give it a little bit of time to see if things continue to behave, then as Mike suggests, bring over your history, bookmarks and cookies. If 1Password is still behaving, add your extensions back one at a time. If the 1Password extension starts misbehaving after one of these extensions is installed, we will have identified the culprit. :)

I hope it all goes smoothly for you though!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I wish I was as patient as you would like me to be... I waited a few hours... how's that? By then, I could not stand all the pop-up ads and had to install the AdBlock Plus extension. Then I really needed access to some of my 600 online passwords, so I installed the 1Password extension. Then I needed to make some changes to some bookmarks, so I added back my Xmarks extension. By then, I just added back 3 other extensions I rely on all the time. And, I since I rely on a separate app to manage browser cookies... it added all of my hundreds of cookies back on its own.

So, the only thing that has not been added back now is history. I don't need it. Everything else is pretty much back to normal now. The good news is, the 1P icon is working fine and has not moved from the menubar. If it dares to budge, I will start over.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @AMCarter3‌.

This discussion has been closed.