What are these password entries labelled "1Password 4"? [Passwords generated by 1Password mini]

Options
randy_va
randy_va
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

In the "Passwords" section of my category list there 3 items named "1Password4". I'm not sure what these are - I did not enter these manually.

These entries were apparently automatically created, all about the same time on the same day (Oct 2nd). In each of these items the only information contained is the website (app://com.agilebits.onepassword4) and an automatically-generated password.

Are these entries actually used in the background by 1Password (or maybe the Safari extension), or can I safely delete them? Being a relatively new user, I suspect that these may have been inadvertently created as I was awkwardly clicking-copying-pasting-filling, etc. while trying to learn how to use 1Password.

I am using 1Password 4 Version 4.4.1 (441008) from Agile Web Store on an iMac (OSX 10.9.5), with sync through Dropbox to my iPad Air and iPhone 6. The web browser is Safari (v7.1), with the 1Password 4 extension enabled.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @randy_va,

These are entries automatically created when you use the 1Password's Strong Password Generator via 1Password mini and there is no frontmost app opened beside the main 1Password app.

If you generate a new password in 1Password mini and pressed the copy button to copy the password while you're on top of the TextEdit app for an example, it looks like this:

We save the app's bundle ID as part of the website field. So, in the case of TextEdit, it is com.apple.TextEdit.

We do this automatically in the background as a safety net, so you never lose any passwords while using 1Password. Sometime, you only need to generate a new password without saving it as an item inside 1Password, 1Password will save it for you in the event that you may need it again later. Plus, it is a good way to make sure you don't re-use the same password again for something else by keeping a list of these passwords.

If you're sure you don't need it, there really isn't a need to delete them but you can go ahead and do that.

• randy_va
    randy_va
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT -- thanks. Apparently I was clicking around trying to learn the 1Password workflow and just clicked too many times ...

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @randy_va‌

This discussion has been closed.