Feature Request: Keyboard for iOS

Options
jasmas
jasmas
Community Member

I've been playing with the new iOS Safari plugin and I'm loving the idea of having 1Password a bit closer when using Safari. Why not use another new feature of iOS 8 to create a sort of universal plugin for all apps: a 1Password keyboard!

There are already third party apps like Kuaiboard (http://www.kuaiboard.com/) which allow toggling to a keyboard of custom text shortcuts. Why not give us the capability to toggle to a 1Password keyboard, giving full access to the 1Password database with the ability to paste in passwords??!

Even if there is no interface for the keyboard to know the current active app, so that passwords could be displayed in context as in the browser plugins, I think it would be great to be able to access my password database from within an app, even if I have to browse for the passwords I need to paste in.

I'm sure you're working out the kinks and already looking into this as well, but I'd also like to see tighter integration between 1Password apps & plugins. Is there no way for the browser plugin to attempt its authentication via the 1password app? I would be ok with a quick app switch for initial authentication, especially if I just typed my password in the main app and could be authenticating with my finger.

To be honest, it would be nice to see tighter integration between iOS and Mac. Take a look at Knock (http://www.knocktounlock.com/) and Scribe (http://usescribe.com/). Would it be possible to look into creative use of Bluetooth LE so that when I'm working on my Mac with my vault unlocked and need a password on my phone quick or visa versa I don't need to type it into the other device? It seems reasonably secure to allow unlocking a vault on one device to also unlock the same vault on another if the devices are in close proximity. If you're terribly worried the bluetooth distance is too great, then have one device prompt for permission on the other.

And don't forget, now that the safari plugin is here for iOS, to add a setting in 1Password to default to opening links directly in Safari.

I'm even willing to volunteer to join to iOS beta program and help you out if its still floating around out there. I believe I still have access to the Mac betas if you need me to jump into testing Bluetooth LE for you. Lol.

Great work, guys!

Comments

• jasmas
    jasmas
    Community Member
    Options

One more note: Do not be discouraged that only the system keyboard is allowed for passwords. I think Apple needs some pressure to make this an explicit setting for keyboards, but let's put that aside. There is still great value in giving me access to a keyboard with keys that don't type anything, but place data in the clipboard, so that when I do click on the password field, I can simply paste it in. I still think it would be a terrific value-add. Plus we could still populate all our identity, username, credit card info, etc.

• Do not be discouraged that only the system keyboard is allowed for passwords

This is a fairly large limiting factor at the moment. I'm sure we'll be whispering in Apple's ear if we get the opportunity.

I still think it would be a terrific value-add. Plus we could still populate all our identity, username, credit card info, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! I personally feel that a not-insignificant portion of the 1Password community would be outraged that 1Password released a utility that cannot fill their passwords, regardless of how much documentation and explanation we have on why we did it that way. That said, I'll happily pass the suggestion along to our developers for their consideration. Hopefully some whispering in Apple's ear will do some good.

• jasmas
    jasmas
    Community Member
    Options

What do you think about using Bluetooth LE as a means to synchronize 1Password for iOS with 1Password on the Mac, similar to how 1Password mini and the browser plugins are synchronized and unlocking one will unlock the others? It would be convenient to type my password on a full sized keyboard when I'm in front of my computer when I need a password on my phone. Bluetooth LE provides a means of doing this without excessive battery drain on the phone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasmas,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, so I'll do my best to answer what I think you're asking ... but if I've missed the point entirely, please let me know, and we'll answer that question as well.

... similar to how 1Password mini and the browser plugins are synchronized and unlocking one will unlock the others?

At this time, it is not possible to unlock 1Password on your Mac with your iOS device, or vice versa. We've heard a lot of requests from users who would like to see something like this implemented, and are considering it as a future feature ... if we are able to implement it in a secure fashion, of course.

It would be convenient to type my password on a full sized keyboard when I'm in front of my computer when I need a password on my phone.

Many bluetooth keyboards are compatible with iOS, so if you'd like to use a bluetooth keyboard to enter your Master Password on the iOS device, you can do so.

I hope this helps, but if I've misunderstood anything, please let me know! :)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jasmas‌

It is an interesting idea, but I personally am not intimately familiar with the Bluetooth LE technology, so I couldn't comment on the security implications of such a feature. I'd be happy to pass the idea along to our development team, though.

As for sync solutions in general, for the future, we're really looking for sync solutions that will be available across all of the platforms we have products for.

Thanks!

Ben

• jasmas
    jasmas
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌, you nailed it. That is exactly what I was asking for. I'm suggesting you look into Bluetooth LE as a secure means of doing so. Apple's new handoff and airdrop both rely on what Apple calls iBeacon, which from what I can gather is their branding for their own implementation of Bluetooth LE. Using Apple's technology would doubtless be a better experience for users of those devices, but building a solution on Bluetooth LE would address @bwoodruff‌'s concern as it is already available in iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry, OS X, Linux, and Windows 8.

Bluetooth has long had potential for this sort of application because of its ability to create secure pairings between devices, but falls short because it requires a relatively high amount of power. Bluetooth LE, however, was built with the Internet of things in mind in order to allow for the manufacturing of battery powered medical input devices, proximity sensors, etc. that can function for years without needing to be replaced or requiring a battery replacement. Take a look at knocktounlock.com, usescribe.com and authy.com/thefuture for some interesting applications already making use of Bluetooth LE. Authy, specifically, already implements this technology on all the platforms you support.

@Megan‌, you were misunderstanding my comment on the keyboard. What I meant was that if unlocking 1Password on my laptop also unlocks it on my phone when it is in close proximity, then unlocking 1Password for iOS by first unlocking 1Password on my laptop when it is nearby and convenient would be a welcome alternative. I use 1Password just as religiously as I use my iPhone or laptop, so it is not all that uncommon for me to find myself typing my master password on a tiny iOS keyboard to unlock some app only minutes after typing it on my laptop to log into my bank.

Both of you also misunderstood what I meant by sync. I apologize, sync is a poor word choice because vault synchronization in 1Password is top of mind these days. However, I was not talking about vault synchronization at all, rather the way you synchronize the locked or unlocked state of the vault between 1Password, 1Password Mini and all the plugins on my laptop and now also between the 1Password app and 1Password plugin on iOS. I was only pointing out that you already have implemented a secure means of communicating between two separate applications which I'm suggesting could be adapted to work over the Bluetooth LE transport. The transport itself provides for 128-bit AES encryption. Of course, you are free to implement whatever authentication between applications or additional encryption you require over the transport.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasmas,

Thanks for clarifying. I'll be sure to pass your suggestions along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.