Pin code only - never prompted for master password

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

Bug for 1P5.1 on an iPad air with iOS.8.02. This version of 1P5 no longer prompts me for my master password. It only prompts me for my pin code, even when opend for the first time for the day. This was working properly until I installed 1P5.1

I don't use the pin code on my iPhone, so I am only prompted for my master password. My

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When you say first time for the day do you mean after a reboot?

The text connected to the PIN Code feature states:

Your PIN Code will be required every time you leave the app or after x minutes of being unused.

Your Master Password will be required after a device restart or when the PIN Code is entered incorrectly.

The emphasis is mine. I'm a little surprised they made it ask what seems so infrequently but I believe the simplified settings are because so many people were getting confused by the two timers.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

If I reboot, I get the master password. Once I open the app and close it (and I close again by pressing the home button twice then sliding the app close), I get the pin code screen. If I go two days before accessing the app again, I still get the pin code screen. I have the 'lock after x minutes unused' set to two minutes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The behaviour you're seeing is as expected given the changes they made in 5.1. You'll only be asked for your master password on reboots or if you enter your PIN incorrectly (even just the once). In theory you could leave it a week/month between uses of 1Password for iOS and it will still just ask for your PIN unless you reboot your device on a semi-regular basis.

It is different from how it behaved in previous versions.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I understand now. Not sure I like it as it seems a little less secure. May turn the pin option off, like it is on my phone.

Thanks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I understand that this was changed to help with the confusion the other method was creating for users, but I'm worried that never having to enter the master password will lead users to forget it. I wonder if there isn't some middle ground.

I'm not much worried about a reduction in security though. One entry of a wrong pin triggers a requirement for the master password, so there aren't any opportunities for random guesses.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I certainly understand your point hawkmoth. I know I won't forget my master password because I use the OS X version of 1Password a lot but for those that only use the iOS version... I know rebooting my phone is a very rare event, usually the result of something not working and applying the old turn it off and on again approach. Prior to 5.1 I have it set to ask me roughly once a day - I figured that was pretty reasonable.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌ (and @hawkmoth and @littlebobbytables‌)

It's true, the options in 5.1 were revised in an attempt to avoid confusion. We've heard from a lot of users (as I'm sure you may have noticed in your wanders about the forums lately) who had a bit of a time getting the security settings the way they wanted.

Your concern about users potentially forgetting their Master Password due to disuse, @hawkmoth, is something that we are concerned about as well. For users with 1Password on other platforms, this is clearly less of an issue, but it might make a difference for some iOS only users.

It is important to note that security is always a process and not a destination. We'll continue to revise these settings to ensure that we give users the best balance possible between security and convenience. :)

This discussion has been closed.