Running 1P database from an USB Stick

Options
Chr
Chr
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

…that is right. I'm talking about pointing 1Password to an USB Stick for its database. I searched this forum and was surprised no one has brought this topic up so I will go ahead and do so:

While I understand everything that goes for having your passwords stored on multiple devices and synching them I would much rather save them on one simple USB Stick (maybe have a backup stick).

• Firstly this is a security question for me: I want to know where my data is, how it 'moves' and what I can do with it. Simply said I don't really know where all my passwords are saved and back-uped, this increases with the amounts of different machines and accounts you use. I want one single place for the most sensitive of my information.
  • Secondly this is about a portability benefit: Switching between different computers and accounts could be significantly easier by simply pointing them all to one single source.
  • Thirdly this is not about 1PasswordAnywhere: I'm talking about using the software as we have it – It is there. I need the implementation into my browser, I need attachments!

So we do have this amazing piece of software making all our lives easier while making sure we keep safe "out there" – It's shouldn't be to hard make it point to a single source for its data and not make copies into the library folder. Because then again, I'm leaving my passwords in one extra place they don't need to be in – Right?

p.s.: I have long stopped using 1P on my iOS devices. So I didn't even think about gettint into that…

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chr‌

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

In version 4.3, we added support to 1Password for syncing your data to a USB drive. To store your data on a USB drive, please use Folder Sync and select your USB drive as the sync location.

It's shouldn't be to hard make it point to a single source for its data and not make copies into the library folder.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to move your data from its primary location in the Library folder. In 1Password 3 the location of the primary database was moveable, and we saw too many cases of databases that got misplaced or accidentally deleted. I'm certainly not suggesting that you would run into this issue, but to protect users from this, the decision was made to store the 1Password database in a default and immoveable location. When you enable Folder Sync for a vault, a copy of that vault's data will be made and stored in the location of your choice so that you can access it on other computers.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• Chr
    Chr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

thank you for getting back to me!

You do answer the core question of my earlier post (I already do the Folder Sync), the possibility of moving the data from its primary location in the Library folder.

I would greatly appreciate if you would reconsider the trade-of between users having challenges with a great piece of software that works flawless and users going utilising your software to insure maximum security for their sensitive information (which is not secured, having them stored at virtually every computer I use FolderSync with).

Looking forward to hear from you!

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Chr,

I'm not aware of any plans to change this currently. That said, I can certainly pass your feedback along to our developers for their consideration.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chr,

You [Megan] do answer the core question of my earlier post (I already do the Folder Sync), the possibility of moving the data from its primary location in the Library folder.

There's previous discussion of this, plus a potential unsupported workaround, in: Moving the data file location

• Chr
    Chr
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @sjk,
    thanks for pointing into the right direction – Could it be that the location of the database (which you have mentioned in the link to be ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4) has been moved or been renamed?
    Thanks again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Chr,

Your primary data location is different depending on where you purchased 1Password:

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, your data is stored here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

The primary datafile for the webstore version is here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.