Failed adding backup under OS 10.8.5 [moved to email; possible interference from Virus Barrier]

Options
marksmeritt
marksmeritt
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I am trying to restore a backup and having problems, all of which I know are known issues in 10.8.5:

• List of backups not appearing for restore
  • Find Backup not being able to access the backup folder
  • After I manually found the folder through Show Files and copied the desired backup file to an accessible location, error message upon attempting to Add Backup is "Failed adding backup"

I also know from the various similar threads:

• Quitting 1P & 1P Mini and restarting machine is advised, but I've done this more than once and it hasn't helped.
  • This issue often leads to a diagnostic report request and off-forum progress.

A few weeks ago, I had a similar issue with our other Mac that runs 1P under our Family License, and someone there got on the phone with me and helped me figure it out. I can't recall the steps he took.

If you can post a solution here, great, and if not, I hope we can proceed otherwise. Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know of a specific issue like the one you describe, @marksmeritt‌, but I do believe that a Diagnostics Report would help us track down the specific cause on your Mac.

So we can give you some specific (and hopefully easy) instructions, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This will provide us with more information about your current setup, and allow us to provide you with specific steps.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• marksmeritt
    marksmeritt
    Community Member
    Options

Emailed report -- thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

ref: YGK-76757-221

• marksmeritt
    marksmeritt
    Community Member
    Options

Some important work of mine has been pending resolution of this. I really need to be able move forward. Any solution? Perhaps restore 1Password from a Time Machine backup so that I can at least move ahead while awaiting a more general solution to 1P's own native backup/restore functionality? Is there perhaps a best existing forum post with instructions on a Time Machine restore? I'm simultaneously emailing support and posting to the Forum about this.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm so sorry for the delay on this, Mark ( @marksmeritt ). I'll make sure someone on our team gets a response out to your email.

Have you updated to version 4.4.3 yet? That resolves this problem with backups on 10.8.5:

• Fixed problem where backups could not be performed/restored in Mountain Lion.
  • marksmeritt
    marksmeritt
    Community Member
    Options

I did update to 4.4.3 earlier this week, and only now had the chance to try to work with backups. I just responded to the email support thread with the following message, which I thought I'd post here as well just in case:

Since updating 1Password, newly made backups do appear in the list under Preferences/Backups. However, I continue to have problems accessing previously-made backups.

There continues to be no apparent way to even point Find Backup to the very same files that Show Files can show -- because the Library folder is always hidden, and though it can be accessed in various ways from a regular Finder window, those ways aren't available from within an application.

A Google search revealed that, when Find Backup has the file window up, I can type Command-Shift-G and get the opportunity to manually type in a folder location. So I was able to get to the proper location after all.

However, once I did and selected the desired backup from a few weeks ago and clicked Add Backup, I got the same old error -- Failed adding backup, and below that is says Failed adding [backup file name].

Please advise.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, Mark ( @marksmeritt ).

I'll continue working with you directly through email, where I've already responded, to resolve this problem you're having with restoring older backups. I'm also going to close this discussion so we're not getting mixed up between here and there. If there's any reason you'd like me to reopen it, please let me know in an email reply or private message and I'd be happy to do that. :)

This discussion has been closed.