Unable to install 1Password after latest update

Options
lyonmd
lyonmd
Community Member

For some reason with the latest software update my system deleted 1password instead of updating. Now I cannot reinstall from the App Store.... After the download finishes and it starts to install I get an error that states "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet failed to download. Use the Purchases page to try again" I have done this multiple times unsuccessfully. I have restarted the computer as well without change. Of note my App Store Updates Page also shows that the digital camera raw 5.07 and OS X Update 10.9.5 over 5 times... I tried to install the 10.9.5 Combo installer to see if this was the problem but no resolution.

Comments

• Hi @lyonmd,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds like this could be an issue with the Mac App Store. Could you please restart your Mac, then try downloading again, and let us know if that works? Sometimes the Mac App Store gets in a confused state that's cleared by a system restart. Thanks in advance!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If JasperP's suggestion didn't work (I noticed you did say you've tried restarting the computer already) then something I've found suggests clearing the MAS cache might help.

Here's an article with a couple of suggestions. All of these should be tried after you've closed the Mac App Store, don't have it running while you're doing it.

The first is to clear an update folder located at /Library/Updates In a Finder window use the following keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a small window asking what folder you want to go to and paste in the bolded location above. That will take you to the right folder and the suggestion is to simply delete the contents.

The second suggestion is to clear another cache and it has quite an elegant solution of presenting it to you. You'd open up a terminal window (it's in your Utilities folder in Applications) and you use the command open $TMPDIR../C and it neatly opens a new Finder window in the location you need it to. There they suggest deleting entire folders, not just the contents this time but folders that begin with com.apple.appstore. If that still doesn't work try a similar command in the terminal window open $TMPDIR../T and do the same.

Their last suggestion is a permission repair on your main disk which you can do from within the Disk Utility which is also in the Utilities folder in Applications.

Sometimes caches can mess things up, thankfully if all you delete are caches then you can't go wrong because cached data should not be depended on by any application, it's in the very definition of the word cache.

• lyonmd
    lyonmd
    Community Member
    Options

I tried all the above solutions with no success... I appreciate the suggestions. Anyone have any other solutions?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's another suggestion, specifically the first answer after the question.

defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true entered in a terminal window will enable a debug mode in the App Store application and enable a reset application option (supposedly). Again, has to be worth a shot. Another post later on suggested a full disk would also cause this error but given the weirdness of seeing an update 5 times I'd have thought that isn't the case for you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Computers are great but only as long as they behave. I've just tried posting 3/4 times and my Mac Mini has messed it all up thanks to a stalled server update.

Anyway, ranting aside here's another suggestion to try, specifically the first answer after the question.

Use the following command defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true in a terminal window to enable a debug mode in the App Store application. That should enable a reset application option. It has to be worth a shot. Another post in that thread suggested you could see your error if your disk is full but I'm thinking that isn't your issue given the weirdness of seeing an update listed 5 times.

Fingers crossed I can post this time!

• lyonmd
    lyonmd
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the debug suggestion as well as logging out and logging back into the app store.... No change...

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @lyonmd,

Are you able to install any MAS apps beside 1Password?

Try one of the free MAS apps and see if it works. If not, you may have to contact Apple about getting this resolved and/or do a clean install to fix this.

This discussion has been closed.