attempting this wifi pc/android sync, does it stand a chance

productUser01
productUser01
Community Member

PC 1password premium installed with several passwords and a note in a vault '1Password.agilekeychain' in Documents/1Password folder.

Android (note 3 kitkat) unpaid app installed, sync pointed at storage/sdcard0/data where it created folder 1Password.agilekeychain.

Android app SyncMe configured to sync via local wifi the pc folder with the name of the vault, by push ('copy to device only'), into the android folder.

Using astro File Manager on the android, I can see that the files (most of them) are copied, with the same internal heirarchy, from the PC to the android's agilekeychain folder, replacing the files that were there in the same locations, and adding some more. However, the PC files beginning in '.' in the vault's 'data/default' directory dont get copied to the corresponding android directory.

Restarting android 1password, I see no passwords in the app.

This seems like a nearly working solution, and I am wondering if your staff could just replicate it and debug it and advise us about how to make it work, if it can work, with this SyncMe app. This might be quicker than asking me for a diagnostic file and to try various things and it might lead to you being able to offer a specific set of instructions that work for wifi pc/android sync.

Perhaps the sharing on the pc requires something special set to copy those dot files across, for example. or maybe not all the files are supposed to be copied, since they are different OSes. It is at the end of my ability to diagnose without knowing internals of the app.

thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Hi Kevin, WiFi sync is not currently supported in 1Password 4 for Android. We have received a number of requests for this feature - and we may add it in a future update - but for now the sync options available to you are Dropbox sync and folder sync. I'll add your vote for this feature request. We provide Folder sync as an "advanced" option, as it allows you to manually choose how you would like to manage your data file. If, however, you would prefer not to have to manage this yourself, then you may find the Dropbox syncing option more appealing.

Google has started limiting third-party applications to write to the SD card in Android 4.4 KitKat. We really don't have control over that. I would recommend using internal storage for the agilekeychain you set up folder sync with. It shouldn't take up too much storage space, and it will work a lot better with all the changes being pushed into the .agilekeychain folder. Could you try pointing SyncMe to copy your .agilekeychain to the internal storage of your device instead of the SD card? Let me know if that helps.

• productUser01
    productUser01
    Community Member

thanks. i am using 'folder sync' as i understand it, that is, copying the folder from a master to a slave instance of 1password. i just happen to be using a wifi based tool to manually copy the file. and i am using device memory in the android. all the details are above. this is why I suggested you all might want to replicate what I did. i havent seen a technically precise explanation from you of what 'folder sync' means and I am assuming copying the files/folders inside the agliekeychain folder, which I did, except a couple files appear to not copy, since perhaps they are 'dot' folders on the pc. I thought you could compare it with dropbox sync, sort out what needs to be tweaked, spot anything I did wrong, then as a benefit you could offer people a recommendation for getting effectively a wifi sync, since the SyncMe product goes through your local wifi from your pc to the android or vv, and you specify the folder mapping on each side. then you could have an interim android solution while you work on a fully integrated one and I could have a non dropbox solution.

Kevin

• productUser01
    productUser01
    Community Member

on android the real sd card folder is extSdCard, the other 'sdcard' folders are internal memory.

Kevin

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

on android the real sd card folder is extSdCard, the other 'sdcard' folders are internal memory.

That's a Samsung thing, not an Android thing.

• Kevin, thank you for the update. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in setting up SyncMe Wireless with my MacBook, but you may have already identified the problem here. From your initial description, it sounds like you created two separate vaults, one on your Android device and one on your Windows PC. When you create a new vault, the 1Password.agilekeychain that is generated contains unique files that only work with the vault created. For example, the set of encryption keys that is used to decrypt all the other files is unique to your vault. This does not allow you to combine two vaults created on different devices, even if the file structure is very similar. These actions will corrupt your 1Password data and you can possibly lose items in your vault.

I would also like to mention that the hidden files like .1password.keys in your 1Password data folder are critical files that are required during sync. If the sync solution is not copying all of the files in the 1Password data folder then it becomes very difficult to recommend it. It's also very important that the sync solution is able to handle conflicts when you have modified a single item on multiple devices. If, however, you would prefer not to have to manage this yourself, then you may find the Dropbox syncing option more appealing. I think native support for WiFi sync would be the best solution here, and I have already passed on your vote.

At this point, I would like you to delete the application data of 1Password for Android. Please make sure to store your information from Android that have not synced over to your Windows PC. The instructions below will delete all of your data from your Android device. Here's what I would like you to do:

1. Go into Android device Settings > Apps > 1Password and tap "Clear data"
    2. Copy your 1Password data folder from your PC using Android File Transfer using USB to your device
    3. Launch 1Password on Android and configure local storage sync to that location

Let me know if you're able to sync your data. This will also help us understand if there are any issues with your 1Password data folder or not. After that, we can look into setting up SyncMe.

• productUser01
    productUser01
    Community Member

Richard, thanks for the correction.

Saad, thanks for the advice. I will try it and report back.

Kevin

• You're very welcome. I look forward to hearing from you.

• productUser01
    productUser01
    Community Member

Been very busy this week but will be getting back to this as soon as possible.

Kevin

• No problem Kevin. Take your time! I have starred this discussion so I'll receive an email once you write back.

This discussion has been closed.