My master password doesn't sync to iOS but other stuff does.

Options
ericoahu
ericoahu
Community Member

1Password on my Mac and iOS (both current version) do not sync master passwords. New notes sync immediately but the password hasn't.

I don't know if it's safe to change it manually.

I have stopped and started the programs on both ends.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @ericoahu,

Sorry for the trouble! When you change your master password, it should sync to all devices. However, some users have reported that the master password doesn't always sync, and our developers are still investigating this.

Since your master password didn't sync correctly, please change the master password manually on each device to match. That should get things working for you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

• RRockley
    RRockley
    Community Member
    Options

Jasper

Thanks for the response. I'm having similar problems (see my other thread). The one question I have that bothers me is: which password is used on the 1Password file on Dropbox? My original password was simpler (ie easier to crack) than the updated one I use now. If someone gains access to the file on Dropbox, will they have to guess the new password or the old?

If I change the password manually on my iPad, how will I ever know if the bug has been fixed? Thanks.

• ericoahu
    ericoahu
    Community Member
    Options

Rockley, I am interested in learning the answer to your question too. Have you tried opening the file to see which password allows access? Do that and you'll have your answer. If you didn't know, you can access all your 1Password stuff from any computer, even if it doesn't have 1Password installed by opening that file in dropbox.

• RRockley
    RRockley
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting idea. I tried it and it has the newer password, so at least it's doing that bit right.

Thanks.

Richard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ericoahu‌ and @RRockley‌

Great question! Please see this post by Khad that explains a bit more about 1Password's security and what happens when you change your Master Password:

Security: Changing Master Passwords.

If you have any further questions, please let us know- we're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.