Transfer my data to other computer

Options
Imacer
Imacer
Community Member

How can I transfer my info from my iMac to my Macbook Pro instead of entering everything manual?

Comments

• Imacer
    Imacer
    Community Member
    Options

When using 1Password, who other than myself can see my passwords? Also I have 1Password on my iMac, can I also put it on my MacbookPro. Or do I have to purchase it again for my MacBook Pro? I hope not.

• Hi @Imacer,

When using 1Password, who other than myself can see my passwords?

Your data is encrypted, and can only be accessed by entering your master password. From the moment we designed the data format, we ensured that it was able to withstand an attack should your data fall into the wrong hands, either as a result of a sync service breach or if someone physically stole your computer. As such, we use AES encryption with PBKDF2 key strengthening to protect your sensitive 1Password data as well as many other mechanisms to stop an attacker from ever accessing your information and we detail this here:

Security overview

So, as long as you use a secure master password that you don't use elsewhere, your 1Password data is incredibly safe (even when stored on a service like Dropbox). If you're not sure about the strength of your master password, please do take a look at our blog post on this:

Toward Better Master Passwords

Also I have 1Password on my iMac, can I also put it on my MacbookPro.

Yes, you can download 1Password to your MacBook as well. To sync your data to the new computer, please see this guide:

Syncing your 1Password data

Or do I have to purchase it again for my MacBook Pro?

No, a single license can be used on all of your Macs. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• Imacer
    Imacer
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Okay where can I find my folder at to sync to my other computer. (Macbook Pro) can't find it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @lmacer,

Are you looking to keep your data in sync between multiple devices? Or simply move your data from one computer to the other as a one-time thing?

If you want to keep your data in sync between the computers, please have a read-through our Sync Guide. That should let you know a bit more about your options.

If you just want to move your data from one computer to the other, please let me know the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for both computers, as well as where you purchased your license (either the Mac App Store or our webstore.) This will help me give you more detailed instructions to move your data file.

EDIT: I've merged a couple of your posts together here, since we're dealing with the same issue in both threads. :)

• Imacer
    Imacer
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased mine from the Apple Store and never got a license number. I have version 4.4.2 is their a update? I like to use the folder option but when I hit option to find folder, no where to be seen.

• Hi @Imacer,

Like Megan mentioned in another post, If you are on 4.4.2 and purchased from the Mac App Store, you are using the most up-to-date version of 1Password.

Folder sync is the most advanced sync option, it lets you use the service of your choice to keep your 1Password vault synced, so it would require further setup by you.

I would recommend Dropbox or iCloud sync instead, which are both much simpler to use.

Instructions for Dropbox sync: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

Instructions for iCloud sync: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/sync-with-icloud

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.