Impossible to set up sync with Dropbox with 2 step auth

Options
Wombel
Wombel
Community Member

It seems impossible to set up Dropbox sync on an iOS device with 1P 5 when Dropbox is using 2 step auth. After entering my credentials in the Dropbox auth dialog I need to enter a key generated by the Google Authenticator. But as soon as I leave 1P to get the key and come back, the dialog is back to email/password dialog. As I have a quite complicated password for Dropbox I prefer to copy it from 1P.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Wombel‌ It is a bit of a catch 22 yeah and you're not the first person to have this problem.

In the other instance I've come across the way the person described the problem I was confident that they didn't have the Dropbox app installed on their iOS device (1Password behaves slightly differently if it does). What the person reported back was that my suggestion of downloading the Dropbox app from the iTunes store allowed for an easier two step authentication. Is that something you'd be willing to try? I don't think they explicitly said but I'm guessing flicking between the Dropbox app and 1Password didn't reset the Dropbox authentication page like it does when you're trying to authenticate from within 1Password.

Fingers crossed you have the same good fortune (assuming you're happy to download their app).

• Ben
    Options

In order to use 1Password with Dropbox's two factor authentication you must be logged into the Dropbox app on your iOS device. Thanks!

• Foxtrot79
    Foxtrot79
    Community Member
    Options

I am logged into the Dropbox app on my iPhone 6 Plus running 8.0.2 and see the allow for 1Password, but then I am taking back to the 1Password app and asked to choose a sync method. I choose Dropbox, then select my account and then the valut. I get a message about downloading encryption keys and then it fails with a message about 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile. 1Password encountered a problem.

Am I missing something? I log onto my Dropbox account and see that 1Password has been allowed, but things are still not working.

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Foxtrot79‌

What is the other end of this sync? A Mac? Please try disabling and re-enabling Dropbox sync there.

Thanks.

• Foxtrot79
    Foxtrot79
    Community Member
    Options

I am doing this all through my iPhone. I have disabled and enabled syncing on my Windows Machine and it is trusted. I also use it on a Mac, but this machine is not trusted to Dropbox at the moment.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Foxtrot79‌

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.