Sync issues

Options
shellshock
shellshock
Community Member

I've recently started having sync issues on my ipad. I use 3 devices, an ipad, iPhone and MacBook all using Dropbox to sync. Everything syncs properly between the iPhone and MacBook but the ipad never gets the updates. I went through and did some cleaning and all the logins I deleted still appear on the ipad.

I've tried disabling sync and resetting up sync, disabling sync erasing vault and setting uo, rebooting the devices, removing and reinstalling Dropbox and 1password and nothing has fixed the issue. Every time I sync, the data does not match my iPhone or MacBook.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellshock‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up lately. I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• jsbinpafromcincy
    jsbinpafromcincy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to jump on this discussion, and just say that after installing IOS 4.5.1 updates, Dropbox syncing stopped on on all our devices. By our, I mean my family of 5....everybody has a Mac (all current on OS 10.9.2 and 1P v4.4), iPhones, and a some iPads. We are using multiple vaults, so lots of syncing to restart. Very annoying for dad who is family sys admin! I'd sure like to see updates that don't cause these interruptions.

• Anthony V. Ercolano
    Anthony V. Ercolano
    Community Member
    Options

I'll join in. I'm not seeing any sync's since the last update. I have an iPad, iPhone, and a mac. The iPhone and the iPad have the same sync data. It appears as though the mac sync data is the same (although you don't present it the same.)

I did the little test Megan specified above.
    Created a login entry on my Mac called Test, Mac
    Created a login entry on my iPad called Test, iPad
    Created a login entry on my iPhone called Test, iPhone.

Afterwards, and waiting about 10 minutes
    No entry for any device shows up on the other devices.
    Opening 1Password.html in my dropbox folder shows no entry for any device.

Now what?
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B03
    SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

• Anthony V. Ercolano
    Anthony V. Ercolano
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to add that this is using Dropbox for sync.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Anthony,

Please try re-setting sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

• On your Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password 4 menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and then Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

Let us know if that helps! :)

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

Jasper

On my iphone app (ver 4.5.1) when I go to Setting>Sync I don't see any option to toggle on/off. There is only a list of the 4 possible sync options and if I select Dropbox I get to a screen which shows my current dropbox account and an option to connect another account.

I'm having the same issues as the OP with my ipad and iphone and mac not syncing

Thanks

• mck
    mck
    Community Member
    Options

Similar problem here: syncing between Macs and iOS devices using dropbox stopped after updating 1Password on the iOS devices. I got a message after updating 1Password that syncing has been stopped and has to be switched on again. I did that but it did not work on either of my iOS-devices (iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5). Syncing between both of my Macs still worked => so it was clearly a problem on the iOS side. Disable dropbox syncing on iPad and iPhone and configuring dropbox sync again was not sufficient.

What helped was:

1. deleting 1Password from iPad/iPhone,

2. downloading it again from the App Store

3. start 1Password and tell that it to use dropbox sync with the found file

cu mc

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @MVRLon,

Sorry, I've corrected my instructions above.

On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

Hi @mck,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for sharing your solution!

• shellshock
    shellshock
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP‌

Your recommendation solved the issue and everything is now sync'd correctly between all the devices. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellshock‌

On behalf of @JasperP, thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm glad to hear that his steps got you up and syncing again.

We'll do our best to ensure that future upgrades keep you syncing smoothly and don't require another reset. :)

• robertfranssen
    robertfranssen
    Community Member
    Options

I am weighing in as well to say that I have followed all the steps suggested on three occasions now. Each time I can successful restore my saved database, reset all five computers/devices, sync successfully and then the next day or so... I find that I've lost more that 80% of my records. Again, this has happened 3 times. I've been using Dropbox and have purged the file and reset all computer/devices and this happens EVERY TIME. I no longer can trust syncing having to back up with every new entry... Please help...

• Ben
    Options

Hi @robertfranssen‌

I'm very sorry to hear about the trouble. Please create a Diagnostics Report from your each of your devices:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the files to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Reports in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the reports in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.