Dropbox sync not working between Mac (v4.4.3) and Android (v4.1.2) [Resolved]

Options
memorytrap
memorytrap
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I just noticed that the dropbox sync between my Mac and LG G3 Android is not working. Both the Mac and G3 report successful sync but items added to one does not show up in the other.

It was previously working.

Help!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @memorytrap,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up right now. Have you made any updates on your Android device, or is your data most current and up-to-date on your Mac? If so, we can simply reset sync (which requires starting fresh on your Android device).

If you have made updates on both devices, let's see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that 1Password for Android is using the same 1Password.agilekeychain file as on your Mac.

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your Android device ("Test, Android") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your Android device?
    • Does "Test for Android" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• memorytrap
    memorytrap
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

On the Android client, there is no way to tell where it is pointing. In Settings>Sync>"Dropbox sync" it simply has an on/off switch. There is no path nor account information.
    On my Mac it seems to be pointing to where I expected.

Opening the file on dropbox shows that the Android device is correctly syncing to that file.
    Apparently my Mac is not even syncing to dropbox although it is reporting success.

Does 1Password sync directly to dropbox or does it use the dropbox folder on the Mac? Currently I do not have dropbox folder sync enabled on my Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @memorytrap‌

Well, I'm glad to hear that your Android device is syncing correctly to Dropbox. I'm not quite sure I understand what you're seeing here - how is 1Password reporting successful syncing?

Currently I do not have dropbox folder sync enabled on my Mac.

You'll need to follow the instructions here: Dropbox sync to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Mac.

• memorytrap
    memorytrap
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Yes, everything in that guide is working perfectly. And the guide confirms that 1Password is not syncing directly to dropbox.com. It appears that 1Password is simply syncing to the local Dropbox folder on my Mac.

I do not have my Mac syncing to Dropbox therefore the updates to the local folder are not making it to the Dropbox site. Since they don't make it to the Dropbox site, my Android is not seeing any updates.

• Hi @memorytrap,

That's right, 1Password syncs to your local Dropbox folder, and you need to have Dropbox setup to sync the data to their servers. You will need to enable Dropbox on your Mac to get 1Password syncing correctly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• memorytrap
    memorytrap
    Community Member
    Options

I am surprised that 1Password on the Mac doesn't directly interface with dropbox.com. But I enabled the dropbox sync on my Mac and now the passwords are syncing back and forth as expected.
    Thanks for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @memorytrap‌

I'm so glad we were able to help you out here! It's great to hear that enabling Dropbox on your Mac got things synced up.

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.