Launch opens unlocked if unlocked when quit

Options
dan55304
dan55304
Community Member

Using OS X 10.9.2 and 1Password 4.4.1:

I'm experiencing a severe security problem where 1Password opens unlocked if it was unlocked when 1Password quits. It opens locked if 1Password was locked when quit. Obviously, 1Password should always launch locked. How do I make sure this happens?

Comments

• Hi @dan55304‌,

Under 1Password > Preferences > Security make sure the box to Lock when main window is closed is checked.

The reason it is staying unlocked is because 1Password mini is running and that will remain unlocked until one of your Lock conditions, such as the Lock when idle value, is met. You can tailor 1Password to how and when you want it to lock via those Security preferences.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    Options

There's a big difference between locking "when main window is closed" and locking "when 1Password is quit". A user should have the convenience of being able to close 1PW repeatedly throughout a session without 1PW quitting; so selecting "Lock when main window is closed" in Preferences is an unsatisfactory option.

Incidentally, clicking on "Quit" in the Dock does not lock 1PW. Also clicking on "Quit" in the Activity Monitor fails to lock it, too. Only "Force Quit" in the Activity Monitor will lock 1PW. This is not normal behavior for any app. "Quit" should lock 1PW (and 1Password Mini, too).

For 1PW to lock when it's quit, without requiring (in Preferences) to have it automatically quit each time it's closed, would be normal behavior for an app. And that's exactly the way 1PW vers. 3 worked; so, of course, I'd think vers. 4 should work the same way, too.

• Hi @Guffee‌,

If Lock when main window is closed is selected, 1Password will lock if you perform a ⌘Q on the main app. As for wanting to close the main window repeatedly throughout a session without having to unlock, you could minimize the window instead. Or, disable Lock when main window is closed and set your inactivity timeouts to something you are comfortable with.

If you want to ensure a lock, there is also the ^⌥⌘L shortcut, which can lock 1Password from anywhere on the system, even if the app itself is quit (this will lock 1Password mini, which in turns locks everything).

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    Options

Chris, your response is mind-boggling. I give up. You win.

• Hi @Guffee‌,

Just trying to offer some workarounds for what can be done now. Your suggestions will be taken into consideration for the future. I wanted to provide you with options you can use today, instead of having to wait for a possible future.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    Options

As for "suggestions will be taken into consideration for the future" one has to look no further than backward to version 3 of 1Password. None of the objectionable behavior (of the current version 4) that I described above existed in version 3. In this regard, version 3 (and also version 2) of 1Password used to perform perfectly. Of course version 4 offers many improvements in various areas, but it is way off course by abandoning version 3's perfect treatment of locking/unlocking & quitting.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Guffee,

Security is always a process and not a destination - the security options of 1Password will continue to change to accommodate both user suggestions and security concerns. It's always a delicate balance between security and convenience, and I'm sorry that you don't feel we've struck the right balance in 1Password 4.

As @chrisdj said, we will take your suggestions into account for future versions of 1Password. Thanks so much for the feedback here!

This discussion has been closed.