Can't uninstall safari 1password extension 4.1.0 [moved to email]

Options
justinrw
justinrw
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Whenever I open Safari (7.1) it it says your extensions have been migrated and do I want to open preferences. I do this and enable 1password extensions but if I quit Safari and reopen it says extensions have been migrated and I have to manually enable the 1password extension everytime I open Safari. I tried uninstalling the extension and seemed to have worked but quit and opened Safari again and it was still there waiting to be enabled.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justinrw‌ Do you normally use any other extensions in Safari and if you do are they exhibiting any issues like the 1Password is? As you've tried uninstalling it via the normal route we could see what happens if we manually delete the extension instead.

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to Folder window and enter ~/Library/Safari/Extensions as the location.
    2. Delete 1Password.safariextz
    3. Open up the Extensions.plist in an editor like TextWrangler or if you've previously installed Apple’s Developer Tools X Code package you can use the Property List Editor that is already on your system. Step 4 will assume you're using something like TextWrangler.
    4. Find the following part of the file and delete all of these lines from the file before saving it.
      <dict> <key>Added Non-Default Toolbar Items</key> <array/> <key>Archive File Name</key> <string>1Password.safariextz</string> <key>Bundle Directory Name</key> <string>1Password.safariextension</string> <key>Enabled</key> <true/> <key>Hidden Bars</key> <array/> <key>Removed Default Toolbar Items</key> <array/> </dict>
    5. Reboot just to be sure.

With a little luck that will leave you with a clean copy of Safari which fingers crossed, you can re-install the extension into.

Good luck and let us know if that helps :smile:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justinrw,

Have you tried what @littlebobbytables suggested and did that work for you to fix the problem? If you still need more help with it we're here for you. :)

• justinrw
    justinrw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. I followed the instructions and although it removed the 1password extension when I now reinstall it from here:https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions, it initially appears in Safari but when I quit and reopen it has gone from my extensions list. There's no extension file in the library and the plist file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

Available Updates

Last Update Check Time
    Updates List

Installed Extensions

Version

• justinrw
    justinrw
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried installing a different extension and I get the same issue i.e.the extension initially appears but won't stick.Attached is what my plist file looks like

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justinrw,

Sorry that you're still having trouble with the extension. Let's try rebuilding the Safari Extensions folder from scratch:

• In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder… from the menu bar or press the Shift-Command-G (⇧⌘G) shortcut.
    • Copy and paste the following path (including the tilde) into the input box, then press Return:

~/Library/Safari

• Drag the Extensions folder to your Desktop.

• Then restart Safari and see if you can reinstall the 1Password 4 Browser Extension and any others you'd like to use.

• Previously installed extensions will still be in the Extension folder that you moved to Desktop earlier, with a .safariextz filename extension. Opening one (e.g. by double-clicking it) will offer to install it.

If you're still stuck after that and would like more help through email, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• justinrw
    justinrw
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid that didn't help. The same behaviour i.e.extension appeared in safari but then disappeared once safari quit and reopened. I notice now there's no plist file in the extensions folder anymore neither. I've emailed my diagnostic report as requested. Today I have upgraded to OS X Yosemite to see if it fixed Safari extensions issue but no luck. I've subsequently also upgraded to 1Password 5.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justinrw‌ That's very odd, I'd expect Safari to rebuild a missing plist without a second thought. While you're awaiting a reply it won't do any harm to check the disk permissions of your main drive.

Launch Disk Utility which can be found in Applications/Utilities. If you're using disk encryption you probably will have two Macintosh HD entries and if you aren't only one. Select either the only one or the indented one and in the First Aid tab you should have Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions. Try a verify, see if it highlights any issues and then a repair in necessary. It might not help but it shouldn't do any harm and shouldn't interfere with any troubleshooting suggestions you receive directly from AgileBits.

Sorry you're having a sucky time with Safari.

• justinrw
    justinrw
    Community Member
    Options

I ran the disk utility and it didn't find any errors. Yep, still no plist file under extensions. there's just the .safariextz extension files but the extensions don't display in Safari. Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justinrw,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: RFZ-71612-641

This discussion has been closed.