Cannot sync data from my iOS device over Wi-Fi if I'm starting as an existing data on Mac

Options
stewartlogie
stewartlogie
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Trying to set up a Mac (OSX 10.9.5) and iPad (IOS 8.0.2). iCloud is not available yet I understand - that took me a lot of searching. Over to Wi-Fi to sync with the iPad. The Wi-Fi sync option is greyed out in the Window menu. Both machines are on the same WiFi network. I don't have a Dropbox account and don't want one, so there seems no way to sync. Any advice?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@stewartlogie‌

Check and make sure the 1Password app is unlocked on the Mac. Similar issue earlier today and that was the culprit.

• stewartlogie
    stewartlogie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to set up 1Password on the Mac, so it's not locked or unlocked yet. I'm still at the opening screen trying to choose "I've used 1Password before".

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StewartL‌ If you create a new vault using the same password that you use on your iPad (technically not required I believe for WiFi sync but definitely not a bad idea), and unlock this new vault you'll find that the WiFi sync becomes enabled. Given one vault is empty and new when you perform the WiFi sync it will populate this empty vault with the contents of your iPad's vault.

I think it stems from historical reasons. I believe 1Password for Mac came before the iOS version and it's only now becoming a bit more common where people are wanting to sync a used vault from an iOS device to their mac and not vice versa.

• Hi @stewartlogie,

I'm trying to set up 1Password on the Mac, so it's not locked or unlocked yet. I'm still at the opening screen trying to choose "I've used 1Password before".

littlebobbytables is correct. Right now, you can't initialize the data on your Mac from the iOS app via Wi-Fi sync. We have plans to support this in the future.

For now, you have to create a new vault on the Mac as a new user to 1Password with the same master password that you use with 1Password on your iOS device. Once you do that, you can then perform the Wi-Fi sync and it'll pull the data from your iOS device into your 1Password for Mac app.

This discussion has been closed.