How Much Will It Cost to Switch from Lastpass to 1Password (with cloud sync)

Options
Sergio77
Sergio77
Community Member

My wife and I are currently LastPass users who pays $12 a year to use the Lastpass password manager. We each have a MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad. In addition, I have 2 windows machines for a total of 8 devices. Lastpass is installed on each device, and we use the Lastpass cloud keep passwords in sync.

I'm currently running a trial on 1Password to determine if we should switch. Assuming that we decide to switch, how much will it cost to switch our 8 devices over to 1Password with iCloud sync functionality?

So far, I've only spent the $9.99 on the iOS Pro Upgrade for my iOS devices. Reading some of the forum discussions, and looking at your website licensing terms (Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license.) it seems both my wife and i would need to purchase the following:
Two Mac Application Store downloads for $34.99 each, (Takes care of our two MacBook Pros)
Two ios8 "Pro Upgrades" for $9.99 each, (Takes care of our two iPhones and two iPads)
One single user license for Windows for $34.99 (Takes care of my two Windows machines)
For a grand total of $69.98 (MacBook Pro's) + $19.98 (iOS devices) + $34.99 (Windows machines) = $124.95

Is there a more cost effective way of switching to 1Password, as it would take me approximately 10 years of Lastpass use to break even.

One other question, once I purchase 1Password, am I protected from having to repurchase software or licenses for future iOS or Mac OS updates??

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you and your wife purchase applications from the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID, you could both use 1Password for Mac with one purchase. Since you want iCloud syncing, you should buy from the Mac App Store, rather than getting the family license directly from AgileBits. The same would be true for the iOS bersion. If you use separate Apple IDs, each of you would need to make separate buys.

If you send a note to support @ agilebits .com with your receipt for the Mac version, they will take care of you so that you get the discount that you would have, if you bought the Mac + Windows bundle from their web store. I haven't done the arithmetic on what your total would be.

There have been many free updates to all of the versions of 1Password, but there also have been times when there is a discounted upgrade charge to move to the next major release. In my history with 1Password, that happened between version 3 and 4 for iOS. I haven't had to pay for an update for OS X yet. I purchased the family license to version 3 from their web store during a period when they were offering free updates to version 4 for buyers in 2013. Earlier adopters did pay to update.

• Hi guys,

@sergio, we do support Family Sharing at the Mac App Store. So if you and your wife is a part of the same family on iOS 8 and Yosemite, you only need to purchase 1Password 5 for Mac once at the App Store.

Please contact us at support+license@agilebits.com and we'll help you with this, your total isn't accurate as it is missing the bundle discounts and so on. We generally don't list prices here at the forum because they're constantly changing over time, and we don't want to give misleading information here.

• Sergio77
    Sergio77
    Community Member
    Options

thanks Mike!!

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

No problem, please note that we're a bit overwhelmed right now with two major releases within the same month and it is taking us a while to get to everybody's email. We'll get to your email ASAP.

Email Ticket ID: XXM-47812-248

This discussion has been closed.