What is this?

Options
dcwinton
dcwinton
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I haver several hundred items in my 1P file with very long names composed of random letters and numbers. Most are about 30 characters long. They were ALL created and last modified at the same time (6:47 pm) on the same day November 11, 2011. The body of the entry just has tons more letters and numbers, that go on and on for about 20 to 30 lines. None of them have ANY identifying information telling me what sites or logins they may pertain to. I assume it is some form of encryption but I don't know.

Here's a sample with a few lines removed in case this is something important that could convey "secret" information.

Removed by MikeT

Comments

• Hi @dcwinton,

You're looking at the encrypted content of each item in your 1Password database. Each file is a single item or a folder, sync setting and so on, that's why you have hundreds of it inside your 1Password.agilekeychain bundle file.

Does it look like this:

Do you have any specific concerns about them?

• dcwinton
    dcwinton
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Mike. That's exactly what it looks like. I don't have any specific concerns, except those normal concerns when you can't tell what something is. I suspected your answer, but wondered why it would be showing up at all if it's encrypted.

But your screen shot appears to be a finder window, not the 1P app itself. Does that matter?

• dcwinton
    dcwinton
    Community Member
    Options

And the other curiosity is why they all show the same creation and modification time and date. My 1P data is changing all the time.

• Hi @dcwinton,

I suspected your answer, but wondered why it would be showing up at all if it's encrypted.

Encryption doesn't mean your data is actually hidden, it means that the data is scrambled in a way that no person can understand what it says without a key to decrypt it.

But your screen shot appears to be a finder window, not the 1P app itself. Does that matter?

I'm just showing what the content of a typical 1Password data file looks like without 1Password. The 1Password app itself is what does the encryption and decryption of your data and it writes to an encrypted data file on your drive.

And the other curiosity is why they all show the same creation and modification time and date. My 1P data is changing all the time.

Did you try sorting the files to make sure the recent files is on top?

Are you sure this is the same data file that 1Password is using right now? It is possible you're looking at an old data file that 1Password isn't using.

To find out what data file you're using now, open the main 1Password, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. It should point you to the sync file it is sync'ing with.

If nothing is turned on, then 1Password isn't using that data file.

This discussion has been closed.