Snowden Offers Privacy Tips: Drop Dropbox..

Options
Steven Curren
Steven Curren
Community Member

Having come across Snowden's comments on dropbox, I have disabled dropbox sync and switched to wi-fi syncing until I can obtain the mac app store version of 1password that allows iCloud syncing. From the article:

Edward Snowden has some advice for maintaining online privacy in an age of widespread NSA surveillance. Snowden called Google and Facebook “dangerous” while praising Apple’s encryption efforts.

"We're talking about encryption. We're talking about dropping programs that are hostile to privacy,” Snowden said in an interview published Saturday by the New Yorker. “For example, Dropbox? Get rid of Dropbox; it doesn't support encryption, it doesn't protect your private files. And use competitors like SpiderOak that do the same exact service, but they protect the content of what you're sharing."

With every password you have in your 1password file, people might like to consider if drop box syncing is for them. The full article is here >> http://www.ibtimes.com/edward-snowden-offers-online-privacy-tips-drop-dropbox-facebook-google-1703894

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I just commented on this in your post in the thread about the iCloud sync issues revolving around iCloud use.

Here.

• Hi @Steven Curren‌,

Hawkmoth's post is a great start. The very reason Snowden said that is because there is no client-side encryption for your Dropbox, neither does iCloud or other cloud solutions have it except for a few that does, such as SpiderOak. Unfortunately, the same reason that makes SpiderOak secure is the same reason it is not currently feasible to use it for 1Password as there is no way to easily get into your SpiderOak account from our apps.

Your 1Password data file is always encrypted on your drive, long before it even reaches your Dropbox or iCloud drive. The protection of your 1Password data is never dependent on any external factors, especially your choice of sync option.

• Steven Curren
    Steven Curren
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly be reading and acting on the info provided by hawkmoth. Personally, I'll be looking to move over to something like SpiderOak for my general files. On the subject of 1password syncing, I am somewhat reassured that 1password provides its own encryption, however, I would prefer that the medium used to sync is also secure - they can't password attack a file they can't obtain in the first place. I still think that iCloud provides much greater security (at least as far as Keychain is concerned).

Along with some of the most impressive security I’ve ever seen, Apple has provided a way to make it impossible for agencies like the NSA to obtain your iCloud Keychain passwords.

More >> http://tidbits.com/article/14557

This is the kind of security I am looking for. If apple is unable to hand over encryption keys to outfits like the NSA while dropbox can, you can bet I'll be going with the former.

I'll need to do some more reading and I'm grateful for any advice I receive here. But for now, I've removed dropbox syncing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steven Curren

I'm glad that the information provided above was helpful. We're always looking into alternative sync solutions - we know how important it is for users.

If you have any further questions, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.