How secure is OS X’s clipboard?

Options
gkulkarni
gkulkarni
Community Member

Hello: I have a pedantic question. Several of the passwords that I store in 1Password are for use over a terminal while connecting to remote machines. I enter these by copying and pasting. So the question is: how secure is the OS X clipboard, where these copied passwords must be staying for some time? Any comments would help! Thanks!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password can be set to clear the clipboard when you've used it to copy something from within your vault, that option (on by default I believe) can be set in Preferences and then the security tab - it's the bottom option. You can control if 1Password will clear the clipboard at all or not and if so for how long will it leave the contents in the clipboard. Watch out for third party clipboard utilities though.

That should be sufficient if you're just using a terminal, what it can't do is clear the clipboard of a remote machine if you happen to use screen sharing.

• gkulkarni
    gkulkarni
    Community Member
    Options

Very useful. Thanks!

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gkulkarni‌! I'm very glad to hear that @littlebobbytables‌ was able to give you a hand. :-) Please let us know if you have any more questions.

-Eva

This discussion has been closed.