1Password iCloud sync iOS 8 and OS X 10.9

Options
TBSWE
TBSWE
Community Member

After upgrading my iPhone to iOS 8 I installed the 1Password upgrade to version 5 without reading the information. Big mistake!

1Password 5 for iOS can only do iCloud sync with 1Password in macs running OS X 10.10, but my mac is running OS X 10.9.5. (By the way, have you realized that OS X 10.10 is not yet officially released?)

My mac will continue to run OS X 10.9.x for quite some time. How can I get my iPhone back to 1Password version 4 that can do iCloud sync with 1Password 4.4.2 on my mac running OS X 10.9.x?

Or, will AgileBits publish an emergency upgrade of 1Password 5 on iOS that can do iCloud sync with 1Password 4 on OS X 10.9.x?
I have been waiting for this emergency upgrade, but this far I have not seen it.

Please AgileBits, tell me and your other users how you will solve this!

Comments

• adkim
    adkim
    Community Member
    Options

Dear AgileBits community,

I have my MBP syncing my 1Password file to iCloud and I thought I had my iPhone pulling from the same iCloud but turns out it is not syncing.
    None of the passwords I've made on either device is updating the other.

I've tried deleting all the data from my iPhone and starting all over completely new and re-downloading from iCloud but it is still the same data that the iPhone had before.

Also, I noticed that the password to open my 1Password for OSX is different from my 1Password for iOS (I must have goofed up last year and given them different passwords at some point).

Ultimately what I want to happen is for my iPhone to sync with the version that my MBP is using, which is synced to my iCloud. How do I make this so?

THANKS!

• Andrew Zellman
    Andrew Zellman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing this as well.

• adkim
    adkim
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, I sent an e-mail to AgileBits a couple days ago but never got a response... Still no joy on a response...

• Thokall
    Thokall
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on this? The iCloud sync is just not working as it should. I can at times get a synced version but that require me to disable and then enable sync on the iOS device, but even then it seems to be a rather incoherent behavior

• dcalarcon
    dcalarcon
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have also iCloud sync problems but only with my iPad 2 (recently updated to iOS 8 and with the last version of 1Password 5.1). My iPhone 4 with the old version of 1Password works perfectly.

I have 815 active elements but only 802 appears in my iPad. There are missing elements in all the categories, not only one.

Ok, it seems that there is a problem with the version of OS X. So, I have to use a different way of syncing (Dropbox, etc.)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TBSWE‌

Thank you for taking the time to writing us and sharing your concerns and frustrations. I am sorry about the frustration this has caused.

The short story is that 1Password 5 for iOS cannot be downgraded and it cannot sync via iCloud with 1Password 4 for Mac (the yet to be released 1Password 5 for Mac is required). We do not have plans to add the "old" iCloud sync to 1Password 5.

The much longer story is that Apple's new iCloud solution for iOS 8 (CloudKit) brought with it both an opportunity and a challenge.

On the positive side, Cloudkit is a much more elegant solution, and provides faster and more reliable syncing. This new technology will improve your experience with syncing moving forward, and will allow us to add new syncing functionality into 1Password. For example, we are looking at adding the ability to sync multiple vaults through iCloud, something that would not have been possible before.

The new iCloud technology brought about some challenges as well:

• Supporting both the old and new iCloud APIs at the same time would have been very problematic. We have allowed multiple sync destinations in the past but it caused a lot of trouble for our customers.

• As part of the upgrade to iOS 8, customers were asked whether or not they wished to upgrade to iCloud Drive. We believed that most people would choose this new iOS 8 capability. If 1Password had continued to sync with the old API then sync would be broken for these customers in many situations.

Ultimately we did our best to weigh the pros and cons and chose to sync with the new iCloud APIs. All paths forward had challenges, but this approach seemed to provide the most positives.

With all of that said, you are absolutely right. It would have been fantastic if we had told all of our customers ahead of time.

However, this turned out to be more difficult than we would like. We take privacy extremely seriously at AgileBits and as a result we do not email our customers unless they have explicitly said it is ok by signing up for our newsletter. Unfortunately only a very small percentage of our customers have ever signed up for our newsletter, and that percentage is far smaller for iOS customers. As such, we did not send out a newsletter but instead added a FAQ to our KnowledgeBase https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq included this information in Tweets and Forum discussions. I completely understand and agree that many people are simply not going to be watching there, and I am sure that there is more we could have done to try and reach our customer base.

We are trying to improve our ability to reach out to customers in these situations. We have created an iOS-only newsletter and have included a newsletter signup in the setup pages within the app (please sign up if you haven't!). I certainly hope we do not find ourselves in a similar situation in the future, but as the saying goes, hope is not a plan, and this newsletter should allow us to better help our customers.

Again, I'm sorry for the time and frustration this has caused for you.

Thanks.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

In addition there is a guide at the top of this forum which contains a lot of useful information:

• Yandar73
    Yandar73
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to OS X 10.10 over the weekend and have an ipad and iphone running ios 8 and changes have not updated automatically. I am at work trying to retrieve a password on my iphone that I know I changed on 1Password on my iMac on Saturday and the details have not updated on the iphone or ipad, but it says that the sync is complete! Frustrating now I have to wait until I get home before I can do what I needed to do!

Has anyone else had this issue?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Yandar73‌

Have you updated to 1Password 5 on both your Mac and iOS device(s)?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.