Why no legacy downloads for iOS?

Options
Nicolas Martin
Nicolas Martin
Community Member

I’m mystified. Why does agilebits not provide legacy downloads of iOS versions of 1Password? Why can’t they be provided free with no support?

Comments

• rfc1918
    rfc1918
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand your question. I am still using iOS 7 and can download the "legacy" 1Password version 4 from the App Store. If you are a paid customer, I think you have access to everything you need via the App Store.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Of course, current users can always download purchased apps.

He is probably referring to people who are not current users, but can't (e.g. iPhone 4 users) or don't want to upgrade to iOS 8 right now (e.g. users with jailbroken devices; or people who need some specific apps that are not yet compatible with iOS 8) . These people can't possibly get 1P right now unless AgileBits brings back 1P 4 for iOS. I don't know if Apple permits this, though.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Nicolas,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience here. As has been mentioned above, if you owned a previous version of 1Password for iOS, it should be available for re-download in your App Store Purchase History. We do not allow purchases of legacy versions because the App Store does not make that easy to implement.

As for offering a legacy version with no support, well, that goes against our very nature, since our support has always been offered completely no charge, with extra love on top. :)

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@Megan

This is just an excuse, at least be honest.

I used 1Password3 and the last mobile version I purchased was "1Password Pro (Version 3.7.2)".

So unless I replace my iPhone 4 (which I don't have the money for since I just started studying) I have no chance of using 1Password on a mobile device.

I will surely not purchase an upgrade-license for my desktop-products (Win + OS X) and look for an alternative.

I'm sick with these kind of business practices.

• kmorris
    kmorris
    Community Member
    Options

We have a family license for 1Password. I'm not about to upgrade my kid's phones so they can get the iOS8-only version (my son's AppleID was locked until today). Anyone know of an alternative that runs on iOS 7?

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

These kinds of practices aren't unusual so I don't understand what you're complaining about. I've been using 1Password since it was introduced and in my option, these guys (and gals) are top notch. I think I'd upgrade that old iPhone.

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    Options

@Doug in Alaska

You pay for it?

• kmorris
    kmorris
    Community Member
    Options

@Doug in Alaska‌ you're a very generous man :) . My two teenagers would love new phones but I am not eager for them to be walking around school and public transit with shiny new phones. I write software for a living and don't pirate it (I only use evaluation software for evaluation purposes, then pay if I decide to keep using it). I've been using 1Password for years and recommend it often, but the forced upgrade is a problem.

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    Options

@kmorris‌

He pays for it :D

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

Correct, I paid for it. Not really a problem.

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    Options

@Doug in Alaska

No you said you would pay for our iPhone upgrades.

@Megan‌

Why are you ignoring us?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @katzz,

I apologize for the delay in response. I'm certainly not ignoring you all! In case you haven't noticed, the forums are bustling with iOS 8 and 1Password 5 excitement (and questions) these days. We're doing our best to keep up, but our response times are sometimes a bit longer than we'd like.

Unfortunately in this case though, I really don't have much of a better answer than I've already provided above.

All users who have previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS will be able to download it from the App Store under the Updates > Purchases tab for all iOS 6 and 7 devices. Because 1Password 5 for iOS was released as an update to 1Password 4 for iOS instead of a new app, 1Password 4 for iOS is no longer available for new users in the App Store.

I have passed your thoughts and concerns along to our developers, but at this time, we do not have any plans to re-release 1Password 4 for iOS into the App Store.

I understand that this is a difficult situation for those of you who would love to try 1Password but do not have iOS 8 compatible devices. I'm truly sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here.

When you do upgrade to iOS 8, we'd be more than happy to help you get set up with 1Password 5 for iOS!

• Nicolas Martin
    Nicolas Martin
    Community Member
    Options

Disappointing. I’ve been using 1Password on a Mac for years, and I’d like to be able to access my passwords from my daughter’s 2011 iPod Touch. I fail to see why I shouldn’t be able to download the legacy file from the Agilebits site.

• jump89
    jump89
    Community Member
    Options

Please release a version that is backward compatible with the previous IOS versions. There are other password managers that seem to be able to accomplish this spanning IOS 5 through 8. Most people I know in the mac ecosystem have multiple devices running various ios versions. IOS 8 is hardly even ready.

• I fail to see why I shouldn’t be able to download the legacy file from the Agilebits site.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow that. iOS apps can only be sold and downloaded through the iTunes App Store. Developers are not allowed to sell or publish for download on their own websites.

The best we can do here is allow previous versions of the app to be downloaded on devices that don't support iOS 8 for Apple IDs that have already purchased 1Password 4 for iOS. We have no realistic way of allowing new users (never purchased 1Password 4 for iOS) who don't have iOS 8 installed anywhere to purchase or download 1Password. We're bummed about it too.

If you have purchased 1Password 4 for iOS on your Apple ID, you can download this older version if your device does not run iOS 8:

(if you have iOS 8, 1Password 5 will be the only option offered)

Downloading 1Password 5 for iOS now, having never previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS, does not appear to grant access to the previous version. This is a limitation implemented by Apple, not AgileBits. My understanding is that we do not have the ability to change that.

There are other password managers that seem to be able to accomplish this spanning IOS 5 through 8.

They must not be taking advantage of any of the awesomeness that comes with iOS 8 such as Touch ID or app extensions.

IOS 8 is hardly even ready.

I respectfully disagree. :) Touch ID and app extensions have been a huge boon for 1Password.

• jump89
    jump89
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comments bwoodruff. It's sad that Apple is inflexible on this. We are not about to upgrade a half dozen ipads and phones just so we can run IOS 8 however. I guess I was just a few days too late in getting 1Password. Sad.

• jump89
    jump89
    Community Member
    Options

Okay bwoodruff !! Kudos to Agilebits and Apple for figuring this out. I just tried to download 1Password onto my IOS 7 iPhone and it gave me the option to download the previous version. You've got a full convert. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @jump89,

Did you purchase 1Password 4 in the past? Apple offer compatible updates for all iOS customers who bought the apps in the past. This applies to all of your purchases, not just 1Password.

As long as you purchased 1Password 4 in the past, you'll be able to download 1Password 4 on iOS 7 always via the Updates > Purchased in the App Store app on the iPhone and/or the Purchases tab of the App Store on the iPad.

If for an example, someone releases an iOS 9 version of SomeApp, you'd still be able to download iOS 7 compatible version of the said SomeApp on iOS 7, iOS 8 compatible version on iOS 8 and iOS 9 compatible version on iOS 9.

Apple supports this going back to iOS 5 or 6.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for new customers.

• drneutrino
    drneutrino
    Community Member
    Options

I have another related issue. I JUST bought a FAMILY license (wife and 2 young children) directly from Agilebits. Ive installed in on a my iMAC. my iPad and was about to install it on the kids mini ipads and wife's devices when I hit a snag.

My wife has capable hardware on her iPad, MacBookPro and iPhone but her company uses proprietary apps and will not allow her to upgrade past 10.8 or iOS7.

The rest of us are all running iOS 8.1 and Yosemite on the iMac. 1PW comes with a license with KEYS for both 1PW3 and 1PW4 but I cant see where I would get these?????

Basically I cannot secure my wife's devices despite paying for it.

Is it possible to get a refund??

This discussion has been closed.