"1Password Failed to Create a Backup"

Options
Eric_Champlin
Eric_Champlin
Community Member

I keep getting this message every 30 minutes:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/emcwarrior/ScreenShot2013-10-07at115753AM_zpsfe387be3.png

What is this, and how can I fix it?

Comments

• Hi @Eric_Campllin,

That's notifications from 1Password that it can't create backups for you.

Can you open the main 1Password app, go to the Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini, it should then fix the problem.

I hope that helps.

• dfsutherland
    dfsutherland
    Community Member
    Options

My wife's computer was getting this message every 10 minutes or so. We eventually restarted the computer for other reasons, and it went away.

Has AgileBits been able to track down the problem? It certainly lowers ones confidence...

• craigy
    craigy
    Community Member
    Options

I also had this problem when I initially installed 1Password - I didn't restart my Mac, just closed and re-opened 1Password and 1Password mini.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@craigy,

I'm glad to hear you got sorted out. We're looking to track down the source of this bug and hope to have it solved in a future update :)

• Steal_Dragon
    Steal_Dragon
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Finally restarted the mini and that fixed it.

• LenG
    LenG
    Community Member
    Options

Had same problem. Ran mini from Help. Fixed. Magic!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yup, restarting 1P mini is the suggested workaround for this issue. I've made a note it be more clearly documented until the bug's resolved.

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member
    Options

This bug still exists 04/19/2014. Restarting 1P mini resolved the problem. Mac OS X 10.8.5, 1Password 4.2.2. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT 1PASSWORD BE ABLE TO MAKE BACKUPS SUCCESSFULLY OF ONE'S VAULTS WITHOUT USERS HAVING TO RESEARCH THE ERROR AND SOLUTION. I'm not being whiney -- simply, our data entrusted to 1Password is that important. I have syncing set to Dropbox, so I would have had some copies made by Dropbox, but others who store data only locally would not. Perhaps a brute-force solution is force restarting 1P mini after an install/upgrade? Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ILove1P,

Are you seeing notifications that backups are failing until 1Password mini is restarted? And does this problem keep returning, even without reinstalled/updated 1Password?

I have syncing set to Dropbox, so I would have had some copies made by Dropbox

Syncing is configured separately for each vault, which can matter when using multiple vaults.

Perhaps a brute-force solution is force restarting 1P mini after an install/upgrade?

That should already be happening.

If the 1Password mini helper process is repeatedly getting into a state that's interfering with automatic backups we'd like to help you determine the cause and suggest how to fix it. To do that, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• Mark Newton
    Mark Newton
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I just had this problem with 1Password 5 version 5.0.1 (501000).

After running MikeT's suggested Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini, I was able to manually run a Backup without any errors.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good to hear Mike's suggestion worked for you, Mark. Please let us know if we can help you with any other issues.

This discussion has been closed.