1Password seems to be auto-locking more than it ought to [two instances of 1Password installed]

Options
Kent Pavelka
Kent Pavelka
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I understand how to use settings so that I seldom have to enter my master password on my desktop. I accommplished that in security by telling the app to close after 180 minutes. My question is whether there is a way to set up bookmarklets (on desktop and IOS devices) so that you can "defeat" the requirement for entering a master password every time. I know. That's the most basic idea behind the app. Just indulge me..that's what I want to do. Can someone help?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @kentp,

I've kept your post here in the Mac forum. I'm not sure what you mean about bookmarklets and "defeating" the Master Password. Are you just trying to make it so you don't need to enter your Master Password at all? If so, bookmarklets are a web technology and would be of no use here. And you will always need to enter your Master Password after a fresh boot, but you can configure 1Password to only prompt for your Master Password after a fresh boot if you like.

If you disable 1Password's auto-lock settings (Preferences > Security) 1Password will stay unlocked all day long. You will only need to type your master password after a fresh login to your OS X account.

If you use a laptop, enabling only the "Lock on sleep" option means that 1Password will stay unlocked until you close the lid on your MacBook. A convenient way to stay secure on the go! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. Cheers!

• Kent Pavelka
    Kent Pavelka
    Community Member
    Options

Before upgrading to Yosemite, I had 1Password set up so that it stayed open and didn't require me to reenter my Master Password. Settings seem to be correct to achieve that now (none of the boxes checked under "Auto lock" , but finding I have to put in the Master Password intermittently. Can you help, please?

• Kent Pavelka
    Kent Pavelka
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to Yosemite, all auto-lock settings still disabled, but having to reenter master password. So, it's not working.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

"If you disable [all of] 1Password's auto-lock settings (Preferences > Security) 1Password will stay unlocked all day long. You will [always] need to type your master password after a fresh login to your OS X account."

• Kent Pavelka
    Kent Pavelka
    Community Member
    Options

As I said, my auto-lock settings are all disabled and 1Password keeps asking me to to type in my master password even though my computer has not been rebooted or OS X account not closed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that last bit. You didn't specify that there was no restart of your Mac or logging out of your OS X account. :)

Could you be more specific, though? Is it after a specific period of time? After a certain action is performed (I.e., closing the main app, etc.)? Is it just in the extension, mini, or main app?

Any further details you can provide would allow us to better assist you.

Thanks in advance!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks I much for the screenshot, Kent! It's perfect and confirms my suspicion. You have multiple copies of 1Password installed. 1Password mini shows twice in the menu bar in your screenshot. That was the tell.

I suspect you may have both of them in your Applications folder, so that would be the first place to check. But we can dig deeper if you're not sure which ones you have installed or where they might be.

You can choose File > Get Info from the menu bar with each of the 1Password apps in Finder to see the version number. Open the older one and make sure that "Always keep 1Password mini running" is disabled in the OLDER 1Password's General preferences.

Then, in that same OLDER version of 1Password press Control-Command-Q to quit both the main app and mini.

Move that OLDER version to the trash after that, and restart your Mac.

When you run the current version of 1Password all should behave as expected.

If you have any trouble with those steps (or anything else) please let us know. :)

I've got my fingers crossed! Thanks again for sticking with me and posting that screenshot.

• TehSmith
    TehSmith
    Community Member
    Options

Uh, Kent...you might wanna take that screenshot down now. It's kinda...ironic.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Was viewing on a mobile device earlier and didn't catch that. Thank you, @TehSmith.

• Kent Pavelka
    Kent Pavelka
    Community Member
    Options

Doh! Thanks for all the assistance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to help! I take it all is well, then. :)

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.