Have Family license (1P3 with 1P4 upg) - single license only upgrade?

Options
cgarch
cgarch
Community Member

I have 1PW4 active in family user mode. On checking the upgrade path, it indicates that I can obtain a single user license for 1PW5. Can you explain what I'm missing? Where's the family upgrade path or is this what all of the noise about family sharing is about?
(family license is from the 1PW 3 days (obtained at the web site) and has been upgraded, as well as the iOS versions).

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The upgrade from 1P4 to 1P5 is free. It won't have any effect on your family licence (i.e., you won't, in some mysterious way, "lose it"). I'm not sure where you are checking the "upgrade path". So long as you have installed OS X Yosemite you should be able to download 1P5 on any of your family computers currently using 1P4 under the family licence.

Does this answer your question, or have I misunderstood something?

Stephen

• PawelR
    PawelR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Have similar issue.
    And I'm puzzled now. I was (2 hours ago) "current" 1P4 user. But when updated to 1P5 I noticed 30 days trial period. Online Store shows that I have some discount to buy 1P5. My family licence is also from 1P3 days.

Question is: Have I buy 1P5 or it should be free update according above answer?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

My original license was for version 3, but purchased during the time that version 4 would be a free update. It seems that I am still good for version 5, even though I'm offered an upgrade button in the the license dialog. I did have to re-add my license file to version 5, which was unexpected.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Oh, yes, there is definitely something funny going on. I've just realised my 1P4 family licence has been apparently changed by 1P5. Following your post @hawkmoth‌ I checked and found my 1P5 was in trial mode. I re-added the licence and it's now not a family licence.

Edit: I requested that my licence be re-sent and re-added it. It still refers to use by me on as many computers as needed but if I click Upgrade License it tells me I have a family licence. There may just be something wrong with the wording I suspect (but I can't recall now what it was under 1P4). I suggest if anyone thinks they have a problem they click on 1P5 > License Upgrade License to check the status of any family licence.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Stephen_C‌ - I reread the web pages describing licenses, and it seems that AgileBits did away with the family license. Now a single user license may be used by up to six family members in the same household. I also checked the Mac App Store and found there that the app is eligible for family sharing. So the web store license and the MAS versions have been brought into parity with the release of version 5.

It does seem odd to be offered an upgrade button for the registered version. I would have made that button inactive or disappear altogether once the application was registered with a valid license.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth‌ many thanks for that clarification. I agree with your last comment and there's also clearly some small bug given that my 1P5 download didn't recognise my 1P4 licence until I re-added it.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

there's also clearly some small bug given that my 1P5 download didn't recognise my 1P4 licence until I re-added it.

@Stephen_C - Exactly same for me. And I only discovered it because of my curiosity about how the license dialog looked in the new version. I'll bet in 30 days there will be a string of posts from registered users wondering why their "trial" version has expired.

• cgarch
    cgarch
    Community Member
    Options

I held off until a few of you had a chance to post. I went ahead with the Yosemite upgrade last night - so far so good. This morning went ahead with 1PW5 update. Checked the license and sure enough it is trial mode. Added the license from the license file and all is good. Indicates that I still have the family license for use on up to 5. Frankly, can't think of many software developers that provide a free upgrade over two revisions. Thanks to all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It seems like there might be a problem with the license file not carrying over from version 4 to version 5 (I had the same problem when I updated to Yosemite and 1Password 5). We'll be looking into this of course, but for now the solution is to simply re-add your license file to version 5. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused!

This discussion has been closed.