How To: Access 1Password data after losing a device

Options
hoopcakes
hoopcakes
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Lounge

I just downloaded 1password and have entered most of my info. If I lose my phone, how can I access my info? Do I need to buy the MAC version?
Thanks!

Comments

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

If you are using Dropbox to store your info (vs. iCloud), you can access the info though a browser and Dropbox account (1Password Anywhere). I do not think it works for iCloud yet but others would know better than me. I would buy the version for your computer also as it is a lot easier to manage and edit the accounts on a large screen and just let the phone version be for access. I like Dropbox as I can get to the data from anywhere and any platform.

• hoopcakes
    hoopcakes
    Community Member
    Options

How do I use Dropbox? As you can tell, computers are not my strong point. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

There basic premise is that you signup for an account at www.dropbox.com. This gives you storage space online.

You then tell 1Password to sync over dropbox.

Not sure how current this but
    http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/06/04/1password-how-to-setup-dropbox-sync-on-ios/

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/Sync/dropbox.html

• hoopcakes
    hoopcakes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! That is very helpfuL.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Study the links that RP gave you above and anything else you can find on the forum or AgileBits site to get familiar with the concepts. Dropbox is just a place in the "cloud" to store stuff. You put a document in there and it is available to all computers and devices logged in to your Dropbox account. It has been around for a long time and is probably the best supported on all devices.

Go to https://www.dropbox.com and create an account. It is free for the first 5GB. Use a good password that you can remember as you may need to get to this account from a different computer after you have lost your iPhone. You can also download the Dropbox App and do it that way also and then have access to Dropbox files at a later date from your iPhone.

From memory, I think you just need to open the 1Password App on your iPhone, go to Settings then to Synch Service and select Sync with Dropbox. It may ask a couple of questions then should create a new data file on Dropbox and then sync to it from then on.

If your get 1Password for your Mac, you follow the same process only on the computer and it will sync to the data created by your iPhone and both devices can update and use the same data file.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

I forget if you have to have the iPhone Dropbox app running or not to make this work. I did it so long ago on my devices and they all have the Dropbox app as well as 1Password (2 iPhone, 2 iPads).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can manage without the iPhone Dropbox app installed. You have to provide your login credentials, though, which otherwise would be taken care of automatically. I set 1Password up on an iPhone that way.

• trampco
    trampco
    Community Member
    Options

I was just wondering the same thing, as I'm in a similar situation. I use 1Password to create and access literally all of my passwords and login information; I've also enabled the Dropbox sync option. Now my question is, what if I lose my phone AND my long, impossible-to-remember Dropbox password is stored in my 1Password keychain (which is in turn stored on dropbox)? I could reset my Dropbox password, but then again I'd need another long password to access my Gmail account (with which I registered to Dropbox) and unfortunately I'd need 1Password for that.
    I guess there's something wrong with my setup, isn't it? :D

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@trampco - There are a few passwords I choose to remember for just this kind of reason. Mine include Dropbox and Gmail, among a very small number of others.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Diceware helps with long but memorable passwords.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trampco‌

To learn more about the Diceware passwords that @danco mentioned, have a read-through our security guru's blog post: Towards Better Master Passwords. :)

This discussion has been closed.