iCloud Drive Syncing - Erasing Data with Addition of New Mac to Environment

Options
robertfranssen
robertfranssen
Community Member

I have been using and syncing 1P from the very beginning but have not run into the consistent problems as lately with ICD and IOS8. I have restored and resented over six times with the same results....

• iMac
  • iPad
  • iPhone
  • MacBook
  • Second iMac

I have had to keep the iMac as the base computer and database of 587 records.

• Backed up before every new sync is initiated.
  • Delete apps from devices
  • Disconnect syncing from all computers
  • Restore database on iMac
  • Reinstall apps on devices and connect to iCloud
  • Reselect iCloud syncing on laptop

All computers and devices sync properly. Back up again. And then I reselect syncing on remote iMac and suddenly the records are reduced to 156! There we no records to start with??

How does this happen time and time again. And what can be done to compare databases and give us choices as to what is synced and perhaps even on a granular basis if a comparison could be shown.

Help, I'm terrified to sync that second iMac again.

Comments

• Hi @robertfranssen‌,

Sounds to me like that remote iMac has a local database that includes deletions (when objects get deleted they leave around a trace to say 'if anyone sees object X around later, know that it's been deleted'). It should be possible to clear that up.

What I would recommend is that on that iMac, and possibly on the other Macs as well, that you start from a clean slate (as long as you've got a backup that you can trust). To do this, you can follow the instructions that Roustem posted in this thread. Follow them for both Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of the app. The app tries to be really smart and will go find the other database and copy it over even if you aren't using that build of the app.

I would highly recommend a reboot after you've renamed (or deleted) the directories, before you launch the app again (or if you're comfortable with the terminal you can simply run "sudo killall cfprefsd"). Otherwise the system will have cached some files like the preferences that we don't want cached

Once that's done, that iMac should behave exactly like if it was a brand new install, and I can't think of how it could cause grief with iCloud at that point.

I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.