Best way to bring 100's of OSX Keychain and Safari passwords?

Options
goldfilm
goldfilm
Community Member

Hello, new to 1Password, is there any smooth way to bring your passwords saved in Safari and Keychain? I found a script somewhere but couldn't make it work...

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goldfilm,

Welcome to 1Password! Thanks so much for trusting 1Password to keep your data secure and organized.

1Password for Mac is able to import in .csv format, but last I heard neither the OS X keychain or Safari exported in those formats. Are you using 1Password on a desktop in addition to iOS?

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying. No right now, I only downloaded the free invitation for iOS8, but before buying the desktop I want to try it. I'm currently using all my password system with iCloud Keychain and I can't complain... it's just discouraging to have to type one by one in 1Pass :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goldfilm,

I certainly wouldn't want to copy over an entire database using the iOS app. That's more than a little bit clunky! The bonus is that we do have a free 30-day trial of the desktop version available on our downloads page. If you'd like to give the desktop version a try as well, here's a way to easily get your data into 1Password:

• Download the trial version from our downloads page
    • Ensure that the browser extensions are installed as well from our extension download page, and that 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' is selected in 1Password's Preferences > Browser.
    • Whenever 1Password notices a new log in, it will pop up and ask you to save the details into 1Password.

I hope this helps! We're here if you have any further questions though. :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I found a script somewhere but couldn't make it work...

Just a thought, where did the script exported the passwords?

That would be a great way to get hundreds of passwords from a user - offer a free script to transfer keychain to password manager of choice and export them at the same time to some offshore database.

What Megan described above seems much safer.

By the way, I'm only a user like you, but welcome to 1Password. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

So I still don't understand why I would need the software in both devices. Could I do "'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' in the iOS? Why I need the desktop version? I have the Safari extension on (in iOS). All I want to do is to go to a website in iOS Safari, log in and have 1Pass automatically saving the password. Is that possible? Or only in desktop? thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I don't think automatically saving will be possible based on my understanding of extensions. Extensions are loaded only as and when they are manually requested so the 1Password extension in Safari isn't running in the background like it does on OS X.

Now saying that, I wonder if at some point the extension could manually save a new login like it currently does on OS X. We'd need a developer to chip in for that answer I think. A Safari extension can read and modify the DOM (I believe) so it depends on whether or not user input already present is passed on as well. If it is maybe the extension could recognise that and offer to save the new login.

As for why have both (mobile and desktop)? those of us that do just like having 1Password in all locations. I store everything important in there and I know that I have it always with me even when I don't have my laptop handy. To be honest I find managing the database easier on the desktop anyway so iOS is more of a companion to it.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Bobby...

Let me see if I got it:

In OSX you go to a new website, log in, and if that info is not in 1Pass, you get a dialog box and a chance to store it. In iOS you can't... the extension in the phone only works to log in with info you already created in the app. Correct?

Beyond that, could you actually live with only one version and get access to all the 1Pass info through the iCloud sync? Or you would only access i.e. logins but not secure notes? Let's say I have only the iOS version where I edit and organize. Is there any info I couldn't access from the MacBook?

thanks

• In OSX you go to a new website, log in, and if that info is not in 1Pass, you get a dialog box and a chance to store it. In iOS you can't... the extension in the phone only works to log in with info you already created in the app. Correct?

Yes, correct. That isn't to say that this might not change in the future, but that is the current state. With the way things are right now we definitely cannot do an automatic prompt without the user first invoking 1Password. iOS extensions have to be explicitly invoked before they can do anything.

Beyond that, could you actually live with only one version and get access to all the 1Pass info through the iCloud sync? Or you would only access i.e. logins but not secure notes? Let's say I have only the iOS version where I edit and organize. Is there any info I couldn't access from the MacBook?

There are lots of folks who use 1Password only on iOS. Personally I use my MacBook far too much to live without my passwords there, but if you are primarily a mobile user and don't mind typing your passwords on your computer for the occasional need, you'd probably be fine.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

but if you are primarily a mobile user and don't mind typing your passwords on your computer for the occasional need, you'd probably be fine.

Is there any type of 1Pass mobile content I wouldn't be able to access in my Mac? Let's say I create a secure note or secure attachment in the iOS... how can I access it in the Mac?

Also, is there any type of content I can't create in iOS but I can in OSX?

Probably Megan is right and the best I can do is to try the desktop version for free, to access as many sites as possible to automatically store log ins, and if I can live w/o it just uninstall it... otherwise buy it!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@goldfilm‌ Personally I find the desktop version more complete and easier for adding stuff. It's easy to flip between a browser and 1Password for editing/adding details e.g. adding a login URL. The password generator in the desktop version is a bit more versatile if I recall correctly and the desktop version allows for adding attachments. You get the idea.

As much as I may seem to be up-selling the desktop version I wouldn't want to be without either of them. It's just too handy having my entire vault at my fingertips when I'm out. Saying that my typical usage has my MacBook Pro as my primary device, as long as that's handy I'd favour it over my iPhone.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks, Bobby... I just downloaded the desktop version but it's not letting me sync, it says "could not find information on iCloud" :(

NEVERMIND... I just read that iOS 8 needs Yosemite to sync...

• @goldfilm‌

Or Dropbox. Or WiFi sync. iCloud is not the only option. :)

Thanks.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded the free trial to start loading logins and all of a sudden it's 1:00am and I'm like crazy organizing the 1Password, very addictive :)

So if I get the full version I'd do it from MAS because I have credit there. I read it's not so easy if you started with the website store... what should I do if I buy?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goldfilm‌,

I'm so happy that you're having fun organizing items in 1Password - I quite enjoy it as well! :)

We can easily get you transferred over from the trial version of 1Password to the release version from the Mac App Store. The only tricky part is that 1Password's data is stored in a different location for each version, so if you're not syncing anywhere, we'll just need to move a few folders around. No big deal. (If you decide to use Dropbox to sync your data, it's even easier, as the Mac App Store version can just take a look at your existing datafile in Dropbox.)

When you're ready to purchase, just let us know if you're set up with Dropbox syncing and we'll have some instructions for you!

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan, just give me a few days so I play a little longer and also check how comfortable is using only the iOS version.

If my wife also wants a desktop version, is the family license the cheapest option? Could we get it from MAS too? Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goldfilm,

No rush on our end - you play as much as you want, we'll be here to help when you need us!

Now, there is no 'family license' option in the Mac App Store. Do you and your wife currently have separate AppleIDs? If you already share an AppleID, you can simply download 1Password 4 for Mac on her computers with that AppleID. Otherwise, there is a family license available through our webstore. (Please note that the webstore version will not be able to sync using iCloud in Yosemite, so if iCloud is important to you, you want to consider purchasing from the Mac App Store.)

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

We have different Apple IDs... what if I install with my license on her computer and she creates a new vault with her logins without us knowing each other's vault's passwords? Would that work?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goldfilm,

If you use your AppleID to install 1Password on your wife's computer, she can still create her own database. :)

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick answers!

• You're very welcome @goldfilm!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

FYI: I've created a new OS X Keychain converter module for my reworked conversion scripts (there is now a driver script that supports and uses drop-in modules). I have a few more clean-ups I'd like to do to eliminate some useless entries, but if someone needs to get some conversion / importing done, feel free to ask.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

As always, thanks for being so awesome with these conversion tools - that's wonderful! :)

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,

I'm ready to upgrade from the trial I downloaded in your site to the Apple Store version. I'm using Dropbox to sync. Thanks

When you're ready to purchase, just let us know if you're set up with Dropbox syncing and we'll have some instructions for you!

• Good morning @goldfilm. Glad to hear you're ready to pick up the App Store version of 1Password, you rock! You can find the instructions for doing so here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/switching-to-mas

Let us know if you have any trouble or if there's anything else we can help with.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Rooni, all set! Thanks!

• Woo! Excellent!

This discussion has been closed.