Sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: Error "The encryption keys file does not exist" with 1password mac 3.

Comments

• RampantLyon83
    RampantLyon83
    Community Member

I seem to be having a similar problem to Folkwin here.

I'm using: - 1password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) for mac OS - 1password Firefox browser extension 3.9.20 - 1password app for iPhone version 3.7.2

Everything seemed to be working fine until I was notified that 1password 5 for iPhone was free so I decided to upgrade. Why not, right? Downloaded and was prompted to import my info from version 3. Followed the prompts, created a password for version 5 mobile and was asked to choose a sync method. I don't want to use Dropbox or iCloud so I have resorted to storing locally on my Mac. Chose sync using Wi-Fi. Was prompted to open 1Password on Mac. Did so. Now I am told to create New Data File or Find Existing. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the existing keychain.

When I first got 1Password I was originally syncing with DropBox but then Version 4 was released and I decided not to upgrade and was thus no longer allowed to sync using DropBox so I just synced manually ever since from my computer. The firefox extension still seems to work fine, which adds another layer of mystery for me. The keychain has to be there somewhere - I just can't locate it...?

Mac OsX is 10.7.5 btw... any thoughts Megan (or others)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RampantLyon83‌

I'm not sure that you and Folkway are experiencing the same issue, so I've split your comment into its own separate thread.

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi sync has changed a lot between version 3 and version 5, so you will not be able to use Wi-Fi sync to keep 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac synced up. Since you're unable to upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac or higher due to your operating system, your best option to keep in sync is Dropbox.

Now, it seems curious to me that you're seeing a new user screen on the Mac. Updating 1Password on your iOS device should have no effect on your data in your Mac - have you made any other changes to your computer lately?

In order to get this straightened out, I'll need to know where you most current and up-to-date data is stored - is it on your iOS device?

• RampantLyon83
    RampantLyon83
    Community Member

Yes, I also found the timing of this quite curious. Perhaps they are indeed unrelated issues.

Let's see about issue #1 then:

I would say that my most up-to-date data would be on my Firefox browser extension, which I use the most often. When I save a new password/sign-in for the web, it still saves them and functions fine on the browser. However, I have just noticed a red "!" prompt which states: "Problem with 1Password Helper: The 1Password Helper process is experiencing problems. This might prevent universal unlock, keyboard shortcuts, autosubmit and syncronization of data from working".

To be certain I wasn't still somehow syncing with Dropbox I checked my Dropbox account and the 1Password.agilekeychain that has most recently been modified was 23/5/2012 so that can't be it. The most current keychain must still be somewhere on my computer, no?.

The only major change I have made was back in April/May, I upgraded the OS to Mavericks but quickly found the "free upgrade" they were offering to be highly glitchy and wouldn't sync my mail accounts. Clearly I need these to work for business so finally I decided to roll back my system to 10.7.5 via a Time Machine backup a week later.

I saved a troubleshooting report off of the browser extension in case you need a look at it. To whom should I email it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RampantLyon83‌

Ok, if your most recent data is in the Firefox extension and you're seeing that error message, that means any new data you save to the extension is not properly transferring to your main 1Password app (which also means that it can't be synced to your other devices.)

We'll need to take a closer look at your system to get this all sorted out.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac3

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• RampantLyon83
    RampantLyon83
    Community Member

Thanks Megan. I have done as asked and attached the Diagnostics Report to an email and sent it off with my handle and link.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do from my end. :smiley:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RampanyLyon83,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: LXS-27756-928

This discussion has been closed.