1Password 5 cannot run on Mavericks? [Yosemite is required for v5, use v4 instead]

Options
hzhong
hzhong
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet since some apps I'm using are not compatible, so I am waiting.

However, if I download 1password 5 from the website it won't run on my current OS X. Is it the same for the App Store version? It's currently on sale so I do want to buy it, but if I can't run it yet then it's a problem.

When will the sale end?

Comments

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hzhong‌,

I cannot discuss about when will the 1Password for Mac sale will end.

1Password 5 (both Mac App Store and web store) requires OS X Yosemite or later.

If you plan on using iCloud sync, you need to purchase the Mac App Store version. Please note that running OS X Yosemite is required.

However, if you opt for the web store version, you can purchase your license from our store. It will work on both 1Password 4 and 5 for Mac.

To download 1Password 4 for Mac, please go to the Legacy section, at bottom of our downloads page.

Please let us know if you have any other questions :smiley:

Cheers!

Rad

• hzhong
    hzhong
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I do hope to get the App Store version if possible since I could use iCloud sync.

I noticed family license isn't listed in your store. Is it obsolete? If we buy the web version can we install it on multiple computers?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The AgileBits' family licence has been superseded by new licence terms for the single licence (when you buy from the AgileBits store). This page includes the following:

Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household.

Stephen

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @Stephen_C‌,

@hzhong‌ please let us know if there's anything else that I can assist you with :smiley:

Best,

Rad

• hzhong
    hzhong
    Community Member
    Options

Just to update everyone: I bought 1password 5 from the Mac app store on my wife's mac (running Yosemite). I was able to download the latest compatible 1password from my own Mac (running Mavericks), so I'm all set. Thanks again for the help. I'm looking forward to using 1Password in the future.

• Glad to hear it's sorted. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

• Ood
    Ood
    Community Member
    Options

This is really annoying. I want to buy 1password from the app store, but I'm not on Yosemite so I can't.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ood‌,

@hzhong‌ mentioned that 1Password can be purchased from the Mac App Store on OS X Mavericks.

Can you please try and confirm whether it works for you too?

Thanks!

Rad

• Ood
    Ood
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

No, I believe @hzhong said he made the purchase on a Yosemite machine, and then was able to download the last compatible version from the App Store on the Mavericks machine.

So even though the Mavericks app store apparently does let you download the last compatible version, it does not allow you to make a new purchase. On a Mavericks machine, as soon as you hit "buy now", an error message pops up saying

We could not complete your purchase. 1Password can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because OS X version 10.10 or later is required.

I think this is just bizarre, given that Mavericks app store apparently does support last compatible version downloads (as long as a licence has already been purchased).

Is there anything AgileBits can do about this?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ood‌,

Thanks for the prompt reply and for the confirmation :+1:

If you are able to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store on a different Mac running OS X Yosemite, we could generate a free license for 1Password 4 for Mac from our web store once you send us your Mac App Store receipt. This way you'll be able to use 1Password 4 web store on your Mac running Mavericks, until you upgrade to Yosemite you'll be able to use the Mac App Store version.

Please let me know if this is a viable solution for you.

Cheers!

• hzhong
    hzhong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Rad,

Just to be clear, it all works fine for me. The key is that you need to find one Yosemite Mac to actually make the purchase of the latest 1Password 5 from the App Store (using your Apple ID), then you can download the last compatible 1Password from any Mac running older OS X (like with Mavericks I was able to download 1Password 4 from the App Store).

It's just weird that you'd have to do that instead of making the purchase directly on Mavericks and then only download the last compatible app. A small extra step to do, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

• hzhong
    hzhong
    Community Member
    Options

Oops, I didn't realize @Ood was having the problem. Yes you'd have to find a Mac running Yosemite to do this..Apple should fix this issue.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hzhong‌,

Thank you for getting back to us and for explaining in details the steps you tool to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, we do not have the control over which version of 1Password you are allowed to purchase on specific OS X versions.

It seems like it is a Mac App Store requirement that you need purchase the latest version of the app and since 1Password 5 requires Yosemite, the Mac App Store requires you to purchase it on a Yosemite Machine.

Thank you so much once again :+1:

This discussion has been closed.