Vault not showing in iCloud Drive?

Options
Ashley Perrien
Ashley Perrien
Community Member

I've been running the Yosemite public beta for a while now but 1Password I had syncing via Dropbox. Now that Yosemite is live and I just installed 1Password 5, I switched it over to iCloud sync but I'm not getting anything showing up in the Finder under iCloud Drive. Should there be? I assumed it would create a folder similar to Numbers, Pages, etc. Where can I actually see the vault file (partly for backup and restore purposes)?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ashley Perrien

Apple's naming scheme for iCloud has certainly made things confusing. While we do need iCloud Drive to be enabled in order to access CloudKit (the backend sync technology we use to get your data onto all your devices), 1Password does not actually store your data in iCloud Drive.

Please note that syncing your data to iCloud does act almost like a backup - a copy of your data will always be available in the 'cloud' if something should happen to your computer. Beyond that, 1Password makes local backups on a daily basis (whenever data is changed), so your data is doubly protected here.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Megan - Where does the MAS version of 1Password 5 store my 1Password data file and backups "in the cloud" if not on my iCloud Drive? Thanks for any information on this. William.

• Ben
    Options

William,

Your data is stored in iCloud, but is not available through the iCloud Drive interface. You can read a little more about this here:

See table 1-1. We use CloudKit.

Effectively I'd argue that Apple uses the term 'iCloud' too interchangeably, when in fact there are a few different technologies at work.

Thanks.

Ben

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben - Thanks for the clarification about iCloud. Is it possible to access the local 1PW file on my Mac for purposes of a flash drive backup? William

• Hi @Localboy,

The Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 stores your local database at: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

And your backups are stored at: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

This discussion has been closed.