Is Dropbox Sync not working?

Options
theoriginalbudman
theoriginalbudman
Community Member

This whole Dropbox v. iCloud sync thing has me thoroughly friggin' confused!

I received an email or something from tech support last week (Friday?) that y'all had temporarily discounted 1P on the App Store so we could switch to that version (I'd previously purchased from your web store). I promptly sent an email to ask if I needed to upgrade or switch all of my apps, or just the one on the desktop machine.

So far, no answer back.

In the meantime I tried syncing to Dropbox. There's now a file on my Dropbox, but when I look at the Preferences->Sync it tells me that the last update was 3 days ago, even though I just switched sync methods! A couple of password changes have not updated and I don't see a way to force a new update to Dropbox so that I can sync the new info on my iPhone or my iPad!

Grrr.

This has become a real pita and I'm sorely disappointed with (1) the fact that I've not received an email reply to my aforementioned inquiry and (2) to the hassle this has created.

So tell me, how do I for a fresh update to my newly created sync profile so that the NEW passwords I created today are updated to Dropbox?

And when am I going to hear back from someone about whether I need to upgrade just the desktop version or something else as well.

At the moment I'm not a happy camper with what was previously an effortless product.

Comments

• rmayol
    rmayol
    Community Member
    Options

I the same!!
    I've have on MacPro 1password 5.0.1, and I've on iPhone 5 1password 5.1
    They don't sync!! I've a new item on Mac, and I can't find it on iPhone.
    I sync by Dropbox (great enough).

I need help!!

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to track this discussion but could not find a way to do so without posting??

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @theoriginalbudman‌

I promptly sent an email to ask if I needed to upgrade or switch all of my apps, or just the one on the desktop machine.

If you wish to use iCloud, you'll need to ensure that you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password on any computers running Yosemite. You will not need to switch over any iOS devices: as long as they're running iOS 8, you should be fine.

So tell me, how do I for a fresh update to my newly created sync profile so that the NEW passwords I created today are updated to Dropbox?

Let's reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 5 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 5 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

And when am I going to hear back from someone about whether I need to upgrade just the desktop version or something else as well.

I hope my answer above helps. Please understand that we've heard from many users since the launch of 1Password 5, and our small team is doing the best we can to get to each email - you might have to wait a bit longer for a response than usual.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here!

Hi @rmayol,

Please see my instructions above about resetting sync.

Hi @MikeV99,

If you'd like to 'follow' a conversation without posting, you can click the star icon next to the thread's title. This will bookmark it and notify you when new posts are made.

• bdub
    bdub
    Community Member
    Options

I am so unbelievably frustrated by the launch to iPassword 5 and the dumping of us app users from being able to use iCloud. We've been giving the money directly to YOU folks (not 70% after Apple takes their cut from the App Store), and I've been a loyal user (and evangelist for your product) since iPassword 3... but now everything has gone to hell.

In trying to transition from iCloud to Dropbox, the 1Password iOS app keeps crashing when trying to sync to Dropbox. And when it does sync, it merges records between what I had on iOS (up to date) and my Mac (out of date, since 1Password stopped syncing without Yosemite)... so now I have all kinds of out of date content merging with current content, forcing me to manually sift through my hundreds of logins 1 by 1 to clean up.

How incredibly frustrating. You guys have a great product and it's one I use dozens of times a day... but this whole bumpy transition has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Hi @bdub,

I'm really sorry about that, it shouldn't cause the sync issues by switching from iCloud to Dropbox. We've gotten a lot of users switching from iCloud to Dropbox without any issues even if the Yosemite Mac didn't sync for a few weeks. Generally, if you're up to date on the iOS, the next step is to reset the data on the Mac, so that you pull in fresh database from the iOS app. This would avoid the merging of two separate databases and I'm surprised 1Password didn't warn you, so we might have a bug in this area.

We'd love to help you fix this, can you email us diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

As for the iCloud situation, we've detailed what happened here if you want to learn more: http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/21/about-icloud-changes-in-1password-5/

This discussion has been closed.