How to clean up duplicates of 1Password app files

Options
Mjbarber
Mjbarber
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi. In my excitement, I loaded the 1 P Mini extension three times. They are all listed in applications when I search my Mac. I also get an error message that says "Be sure there is only 1 version of 1 Password Mini on your Mac." How do I remove them? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @Mjbarber,

There should only be one copy of 1Password in your Applications folder. Can you tell me if you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store or from our webstore?

One quick way to determine which 1Password version you're using is to open 1Password the usual way, unlock to make sure it is the right data, and then go to the 1Password Menu > About 1Password. It should tell you which version you're using. If it is the Mac App Store version, it will say it in the About screen.

Once you do that, go to the Applications folder, and press space on all 1Password app files you see in. If the version doesn't match what you're using now, move it to your Trash folder. Please make sure you're not using any app cleaning tools that cleans up after the app when you delete the app.

Repeat until you're down to one copy, open 1Password once more to make sure your data is still usable, and then empty your trash. Reboot your Mac and you should be all good to go.

I hope this helps.

• Mjbarber
    Mjbarber
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I'm using the web store version. Here is the text of the message I get when I launch:

The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.
    Instead of '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '~/Downloads/1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.
    Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac.

Everything seems to be working fine, except that I get that message when I log in. When i go to my Applications folder, I only see one listing adn thats for 1 password 5. Should I be seeing 1 Password Mini somewhere? Thanks for all help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mjbarber,

Thanks for including the text of that message - that helps a lot. It looks like you have 1Password running from your downloads folder instead of your Applications folder. Please open the 1Password app that is currently living in your Applications folder - do you see all your data there?

If so, follow Mike's instructions above, and move the 1Password app in the Downloads folder to the Trash. (Please be sure that 1Password Mini is not running when you do this. If it is, click on the mini icon, then the gear icon and select 'Quit 1Password Mini')

I hope this gets things all sorted for you, but we're here if you have any further questions! :)

• Mjbarber
    Mjbarber
    Community Member
    Options

Sweet! All good. Thanks.

• On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's sorted.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.