1P v5 *requires* Yosemite?

Options
bulbuls
bulbuls
Community Member

that's a little severe, isn't it?

I don't necessarily need the new iCloud sync feature.

what happened? this is very unusual, that an update requires the latest OS. that said, many/most of Apple's apps have the same requirement :-(

cheers,
Gregory
(P.S. typing in this forum is extremely slow!!! 2 or 3 seconds per character.)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Gregory ( @bulbuls ),

It does seem that technology moves at a breakneck speed these days, doesn't it? Unfortunately, to take advantage of the new tools in Yosemite (including the completely re-designed better-stronger-faster iCloud sync) we needed to build 1Password 5 for Yosemite.

If you're still using Mavericks or an older system, the previous versions of 1Password should continue to work for you just fine. :)

• bulbuls
    bulbuls
    Community Member
    Options

big caveat! my iOS devices have been updated to 1Pv5 and cannot synchronise with 1Pv4 on my Mac. I remember the early notice about not being able to sync with the Mac version until 1Pv5 was released on the Mac, but we were never warned that we'd be required to upgrade to Yosemite before being able to update to 1Pv5. not good.

I'll have to switch syncing to Dropbox but it's definitely not ideal.

I believe this is the first time in my 20 years of Mac computing that app updates have immediately forced me to upgrade my OS.

• Hi @bulbuls,

In 1Password 5, iCloud sync was rewritten from the ground up to use CloudKit, a new technology from Apple that’s built into OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and iOS 8. CloudKit is not available on OS X 10.9 or iOS 7.

If you don't wish to upgrade to Yosemite at this time, we recommend using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, which are great alternatives.

Please let us know if you have any other questions..

This discussion has been closed.