Trying to avoid a Sync Mess

Options
sjsherratt
sjsherratt
Community Member

I have 2 Macs, an iPad, and an iPhone.
All had 1Password4 installed and all were syncing fine using iCloud.

All but one of the Macs (my work machine) were upgraded to 1Password5, 10.10 and iOS8 this past week. The work Mac is still on 10.9 and 1Password 4. I added passwords to my work Mac, but the passwords did not sync with the other devices. I enabled WiFi sync on the work Mac and enabled WiFi sync on my iPhone and they have been synced with one another successfully. Now I am trying to get the iPhone back to iCloud sync and am getting a message: "1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with the Primary vault". Does "merge" mean that every 1Password entry already in the iCloud will be merged with everything on my iPhone and I will have 2 copies of my entries ? And will need to spend a bunch of time deleting duplicates ? The iPhone and the Work Mac now contain the most up to date collection of password info. I would prefer to delete the copies of the data on the other Mac, iPad and iCloud and push what is on the iPhone out to those devices. How should I proceed to avoid making a bigger mess of this ?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjsherratt‌ You should be safe to merge the data. 1Password will examine each entry and find that ~98% of the items are identical and that there's nothing to do - the message sounds more ominous than it means to. It might be different if you were dealing with combining two very different vaults or the iCloud data was hideously out of date but the reality is the only differences are going to be the modifications from your work Mac.

As you've discovered, iCloud is a bit of a pain unless you all your devices are running either 1Password 4 or 1Password 5. If Dropbox is an acceptable option then that would work across all your machines at the moment.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@littlebobbytables ++ Thanks for the assist! :smiley:

@sjsherratt, if you're currently unable to update your work Mac to Yosemite, you may want to consider switching to Dropbox sync on your Macs and iOS devices (as @littlebobbytables suggested) to make things a lot simpler. You can keep switching between iCloud & Wi-Fi sync if you want to, but that might end up being a lot of extra work for you (depending on how often you need to sync).

Once your work Mac has been updated to Yosemite and 1Password 5, you should be able to go back to using iCloud sync everywhere.

• sjsherratt
    sjsherratt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables and @Drew_AG ... I safely set the iPhone back to iCloud sync without adverse consequences (i.e. duplicates). I will consider dropbox sync ... that is how I used to sync. The work Mac can't be upgraded until IT releases the update for IT owned assets, and has a solution for updating apps (i.e. VMWare ...). Thanks for the tips.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @sjsherratt! We're always happy to help. :smiley:

This discussion has been closed.